free website stats program Sportster to Fatboy? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster to Fatboy?

I'm just curious about when you say long rides. In your opinion how long is a long ride? Only you can decide if your comfortable or not but I have a heritage also and I think it's pretty comfortable.

I ride mostly around town with the occaosinal 200 mile ride, I will be taking a trip that is 300 each way in June and was concerned about the distance.
WAP.gif

I ride mostly around town with the occaosinal 200 mile ride, I will be taking a trip that is 300 each way in June and was concerned about the distance.
WAP.gif

That would be no problem at all with one or two of the mods already suggested - and lots cheaper than a new bike.

However, once that seed of a newer, bigger bike gets implanted in your brain, it's REALLY hard to root it out of there!

Let us know what you decide.

Two of my friends from Americade put 175,000 miles riding 2 up on an XL 1200 then traded for a Heritage before they bought a Harley trike. Granted they found the Sportster a little tight for touring and thought the Softail was much better due to the extra carrying capacity. Had to trade up for the trike due to health reasons, but thought the Softail was a great touring bike. I had a Heritage and used it for touring for 10 years then traded for a Road Glide last year and never looked back. I had a Corbin saddle with a movable backrest that fit driver or passenger which made it very good on long trips. I added the Progressive Air-tail shocks to the rear for adjust-ability which worked very well, and made a good compromise for looks and touring comfort. If you like the look of the Fat Boy and want to do long distance rides, what about the Road King.

The detachable windshield is awesome. I put it on to ride the 50 miles each way to work and it pops right off when I want to cruise around town.

Keep an eye on Craigslist. I picked up my windshield for only $100.

I have a 2003 fatboy and regularly ride 300 miles or more one way. Last year I rode from Dallas to Chicago (980 miles one way) , coming back I rode 700 miles in one day. I have a windshield, stock seat however I use a bead rider seat pad. BeadRider - Beaded Motorcycle Seats It works great!.

Randall

I have a 2003 fatboy and regularly ride 300 miles or more one way. Last year I rode from Dallas to Chicago (980 miles one way) , coming back I rode 700 miles in one day.
Randall

I hope you didn't quit at 980 miles in one day, another 20 and it would have been some SERIOUS bragging!

At 6'2" and 200 lbs I sold my XL1200C and bought a Dyna Street Bob. Much better on long rides. Having done 600+ mile rides in one day on both I would say try a bigger bike. If you can afford the few thou to upgrade, you won't regret it.

bikes are like women......great for one guy and the next guy wouldn't last an hour. So really, nobody can answer that question for you - you gotta get on it and if feels right STAY ON IT.

I bought my first Harley last year, a 1200 Sportster Custom and I absolutely love it, the more i love it the more that I want to ride longer distances. I am looking at moving up to a bigger bike that would be more comfortable on long rides. My friend is wanting me to get a Road Glide like his, but I test rode one and really didn't like the feel of it. I test rode a Fatboy and loved the feel of it, does anyone have any idea if I buy a Fatboy will it be comfortable on long rides. I am 6 ft tall and weigh about 195 if that helps at all.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

The RG feels weird at first because the fairing does not move with the handlebars. TRUST YOUR FRIENDS!!!! The RG is awesome!!!!

Back