free website stats program sportster primary chain | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

sportster primary chain

Wow. I just looked at those pictures, one more reason for checking what the dealer said they did, we should be able to trust them but alas just like everything else those who take short cuts costs us alot of grief. Buy a manual and do your own service and take pride and owner ship of your work, JMO:)

One quick question about the primary chain. The book says to rotate the chain and check tension in several different spots when adjusting. Unless I romove the plugs, you just dont rotate the chain, so I am guessing the only way to do as the book says is to remove plugs? Even then It seems it would be difficult to rotate the chain...

Wit the plugs out bike jacked up and in gear turn the wheel I like to mark the chain with some chalk so you have a starting point:p

I also need to replace the primary chain on my 2004 sportster.... And I have to admit that I also forgot to put oil in my primary after servicing it .... I am also looking into getting a M6 automatic primary chain adjuster:D

Just Wondered WHY? is everybody WORRIED about the chain..... All sportys are 3 row chain. A week or so without oil on the chain is small compared to the Damage to Gears and shaft bearings.

I would be concerned about the TRANNY Gears and Bearings.(.)... That is where the Damage IS and noise probably came from..

The chain probably doesn't mind the Lack of oil for a short time as it holds oil inside the links.

But the GEARS and tranny bearings Do!!

signed....BUBBIE

Back