free website stats program sportster primary chain | Harley Davidson Forums

sportster primary chain

Painter61

would any one know off hand the size of the primary drive chain if is 5/16 or 3/8? I am going to order a replacement and not sure of the size. I have a 2006 sportster custom.:newsmile040:

Welcome Painter61 to the HDTimeline forum after such a long sojorn...before others weigh in I have to ask, why do you have to change the primary drive CHAIN so early? They generally last the life of the engine if properly adjusted.

Welcome Painter61 to the HDTimeline forum after such a long sojorn...before others weigh in I have to ask, why do you have to change the primary drive CHAIN so early? They generally last the life of the engine if properly adjusted.

I also wanted to add that Sporty's are a "Triple" row chain and the Big bikes have only two rows in the chain case. I did replace my dyna at 36,000 miles and it still was good but put new one while all apart..

bubbie

Never had to replace a primary chain, and only had 1 rear chain break while riding:)

I did an oil change on it and for got to put oil for primary after a week I noticed a not so good sound I realized no oil in primary so I added oil and adjusted but chain damaged.
and also 70000 miles on bike.

I did an oil change on it and for got to put oil for primary after a week I noticed a not so good sound I realized no oil in primary so I added oil and adjusted but chain damaged.
and also 70000 miles on bike.

Always make it a habit to double check things after you work on the bike. The little time it takes will be better than the $$$ it costs for not doing it.:s

Ouch, but we have all done bad things its a learning thing. I double check my work and I still make a few mistakes hope you can get her fixed good luck, signed....Capital Jack:)

Painter61, I can feel your pain, but don't feel like your the only one who has had this happen...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/softail_models/16896-ive_got_a_mess.html

My 06 sporty is single row chained

Painter61, take a look at the link above at the pictures and once you replace the chain and tensioner shoe, clean everything up with non-chlorinated Brakleen in the visible areas (while everything that you take out is apart). Hopefully most of the nasty bits can be flushed out and do several gear oil changes (use good ol' fashion Chevron regular dino 20W-50 oil) changing fluid several times in 15 miles to get the ferrous and non-ferrous debris out (if large enough it could cause oil pump or other internal failures) especially if you only "fix" what is broken as what GS34 did successfully. Just an idea...:D

Back