free website stats program Sportster oil cap keeps popping up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster oil cap keeps popping up

So it has been updated twice........
Problem is we don't know when the updates were done so the 2012 could have come with B part as it had been around in that form for 8 years at that time as rubber mount sportster came along in 2004

Brian

Problem is we don't know when the updates were done so the 2012 could have come with B part as it had been around in that form for 8 years at that time as rubber mount sportster came along in 2004

Brian
2011 was first year of B suffix

No Body Monkeys with mine........Pop UP n Down, works Great.... Tight no, TIGHT... Really have to BEEF it off... Oil it and it is still Hard to get off... That is a GOOD Feature now-a-days... NO MONKEY from a Noisy-Rosey...

Installing a thinner "0" ring only made it Too Loose and Oil leaked out a Little... OH, this is on my 06 Sport Roadster...
Original Equipment...

signed....BUBBIE

i have a 2012 Sportster oil cap that pops up and leaks oil when I ride. Any fixes for this issue?
Linda Steele - I had the same problem with the oil cap on my HD Sportster 1200C. The chrome pop-up dress cap on top needed to turn another quarter turn to line-up with the contour of the tank. Made me crazy after fiddling around with it for a while because I tend to break things using brute force. The solution was that I went ahead and put the dipstick assembly back into the hole, turning it about a half turn clockwise until it screwed down and seated. Then before I pushed the chrome pop-up dress cap down, I gently gripped it with tongue-in-groove "channel lock" pliers and turned the cap a quarter-turn clockwise. Now it was properly aligned. Then I pushed the pop-up dress cap down and it clicked into place. Presto! It worked. Didn't break anything, no expensive after-market replacement, no humiliation taking it to the dealer. Just be gentle. You can cover the chrome pop-up cap with a rag if you are worried about scratching it with the pliers.

Back