free website stats program Sportster 1200R cutting out | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster 1200R cutting out

Hi Ostermri,
The folks on here have been very helpful. First of all, search this thread and find a link to the Diagnostic Trouble Codes page and print it out. Run the procedure using your speedometer display and if there is any problem stored in there, it will tell you.
I also found that my air filter was badly clogged, so replaced it with a new one. Also, I had my carb cleaned, and drained some oil out so that the level was just three quarters full to allow for expansion of the oil when it is warm. And checked and tightened the battery terminals. The problem went away to a degree. It doesn't cut out any longer, but still misfires very occasionally. The last item I will look at is the Crank Position Sensor, and replace it when I get one.
Try all those ideas and post back if any of it does the job. I forgot to mention, I had the ingition switch cleaned too.
Regards, Tom

Hi all,
The bike was put away for the winter, but I purchased a crank position sensor and fitted it last month. Fingers crossed, it has done the trick! My bike finally runs like a dream.
I left it a while before posting on here just to make sure it was that that was causing the problem.
thanks everyone for your valuable input.
Kind regards and keep the wheels turning!
Tom

Back