free website stats program Sportster 1200R cutting out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster 1200R cutting out

check for trouble codes these codes can be found by using speedometer diagnostics. the instructions can be found in the self help area of this site, I believe. your troubles sound like they may be a crank position sensor, map sensor or vehicle speed sensor. retrieving trouble codes will help immensely.

Thanks for all your help folks.
Ok, Brian was correct with the carb jet being blocked. The idle speed was erratic too. That has been cleaned now and seems ok.
Also I had to drive to HD in Preston to get a new air filter. The one that was taken off the bike was full of dirt and oil, the inside of the airbox and carb were also coated in oil. Presumably at some point, the oil had been overfilled (just a wild guess), that is my next step to drain it out if necessary.
The bike now seems to run fine, the misfiring seems to have stopped, but I will have to give it a good run tomorrow to be sure.
It looks like the previous owner didn't do much in the way of looking after it in his 26000 miles of ownership.

Thanks for getting back to us to let us know the solution as sometime in the future another member may find this thread useful in fixing their problem

Wife and i stopped in at Preston HD last summer they seemed like nice people as the did not mid us dripping water all over the place or taking over a wee corner of the coffee shop whilst we tried to dry out a wee bit

Brian

No problem Brian, I just hope that what I found was the solution. I will post again tomorrow after a good long ride if the weather permits.
Thank you for your input, it has been invaluable.
As for Preston HD, yes they were very helpful all of the times I have been there. It was a real shame that the Manchester showroom had to close last year.
At Preston today, they offered to collect the bike and sort it out for me if I couldn't do it and charge only about £40 for collecting it. They had some great deals on too (a new sportster xl883L for only £6500) but the wife told me I have to wait a couple of years to get a new bike (understandably in the current economic climate). She has been great and loves this bike and insists that the next one will also have to be a Harley.
Thanks again Brian and all who have helped.
Kind Regards, Tom

All seems well now. The bike ran like a dream today. Only had time to ride 20 miles, but all went very well. I removed about 250ml of oil from the tank before riding. The oil level is at three quarters full to allow for expansion when hot.
Regards,
Tom

That all sounds good you just need to get a few longer runs in to confirm all is good

Brian

Hi again,
OK the bike runs a lot better, but still runs a little rough after a long ride. I checked the DTC's and there was a code stored on there: P0373 (CKP Intermittent Carb, or CKP Intermittent EFI). I cleared the codes and went out on it and ran the sequence again. This time it came up with NONE on the screen.
Can anyone please explain why this might have happened?
Also what do the faults in P0373 mean? Can a new part be simply replaced if it occurs again?
I checked the part number on a HD website (part no 32884-04), but found no match for it.
The bike seems to be mostly ok at the moment, but I would like to know if it happens again, can it be easily rectified?

Regards,

Tom

Harold,
I have just re-read your reply and sure enough your suggestion of the crank position sensor was the code that came up. Firstly, can you yell me what that is? And how do I resolve this?
Cheers,
Tom

The Crank Position Sensor is located near the oil filter, clutch cable frame and a single screw holds it in place. A plastic armour sheath protects the wire and goes to a plug-in connector near your jiffy stand. You can try and clean it, but the part is the same one sitting in my garage as a spare (when mine indicated faulty)...I know the old one works, I used it on my pals' 2003 and though it was not the problem, it ran fine on his (I chose not to mess with it as it is only 'bout $30. :)

I'm having the same problem with my 03. I have a new battery and just cleaned out the carb. It will sit and idle just fine (cold or hot) but when I'm going down the road at slow speeds it dies. Sometimes it will start back up before I come to a complete stop sometimes it takes a few attempts. What did you find out with your bike? Any ideas?

Back