free website stats program Spinal Fusion | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spinal Fusion

No fast, easy or bright answers here, my friend, but best wishes by the handfuls! I too, have a bad back, getting progressively worse with age. A lot of your success will be dependant on your attitude and fortitude. NEVER say can't! You can say (EDIT) that isn't easy, but don't let it get the best of you!

You'll ride, if you want to bad enough. I can say that because back in 76 I sold my bike after a wreck that hurt me so bad I couldn't ride 10 miles without being in tears! I fought back, like so many of your supporters here and now I ride... I work... and I live! And sometimes the pain gets me down, but I look around and realize - - (EDIT) , I got it good!

"Once I felt bad for I had no shoes, then I met a man that had no feet!" It's all perspective and attitude! Good luck!!!! Keep us updated.... as fellow riders, we do care!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
psgthru,
I think you're doing the right thing with extra padding for shock absorption. No heavy lifting and keep up the exercises. Beyond that a good boot with ankle support and arch support is about the best there is out there unless you see the ortho guys and get fitted with an orthotic device. Avoid surgery of all sorts unless absolutely necessary, but when its the last resort ya gotta try. Chronic pain ain't no fun, especially when it gets to the point that it interfers with daily life. Loss of sensation, loss of strength and muscle wasting are also signs that its time to consider drastic (surgery) measures. A good neurosurgeon who is not knife happy is a must and physical therapy seems to help some folks. My experience is that riding itself is not a bad thing, just listen to your body and learn when to say when. And of course, no motocross on that Harley! Just kidding, I think all of us with back issues recognize the limit and observe it. Above all, keep on keepin' on. Push yourself to live a normal life but watch your health and don't push just for the sake of pushing and end up abusing your back. Best of luck to you from all of us who have been there, done that and in most cases are still there to varying extents.
Ishmael

Question about which boot for people w/back trouble? Lots about boots, but not one for those of us with challenges. I have severe lumbar spinal stenosis in 2 places, bad discs, facet syndrome, etc., etc.. Other than exercise, the only thing I do is wear NB shoes with xtra padding in heel and toe. What boot do you guys wear that is spongy enough to dissipate a lot of shock? Thanks for the input. So, My reply about fusion, is it should be the very last resort. It was my understanding that reinforcing one part, will eventually cause wear in another part. I think this is confirmed by some that have had multiple fusions. Not familiar with whether a cyst makes it mandatory, though. Best of luck to you.

Boots are another can of worms IMO, The Docs @ the Mayo advised me to find light and easy on and off and change every 6 months. My choice is Redback Redback Leather Boots and a back support when I work and some times when I ride:s

I had back surgery in 1982. All I can tell you is I can do just about anything I want, but I always know it's there. In my case, never as good as it was, but not enough to hamper me in any way other than to be smarter. I will tell you this, you might come out good as new....you might come out worse. You have to discuss all the benefits and risks concerning your individual problem with your TRUSTED surgeon. No gaurantee's. I have seen it go bothways, very good and very bad. Good news for you is they are more successful now than they ever have been. Good luck.

Question about which boot for people w/back trouble? Lots about boots, but not one for those of us with challenges. I have severe lumbar spinal stenosis in 2 places, bad discs, facet syndrome, etc., etc.. Other than exercise, the only thing I do is wear NB shoes with xtra padding in heel and toe. What boot do you guys wear that is spongy enough to dissipate a lot of shock? Thanks for the input. So, My reply about fusion, is it should be the very last resort. It was my understanding that reinforcing one part, will eventually cause wear in another part. I think this is confirmed by some that have had multiple fusions. Not familiar with whether a cyst makes it mandatory, though. Best of luck to you.

One type of boot i have come across that may be suitable is doctor martens as the sole has a lot of air pockets in it very comfortable boot for walking

Dr. Martens Airwair- Shoes, Boots and Sandals -HOME

Brian

Thanks for all the advise everyone it was really appreciated. I had the surgery 30 days ago, they fused L3, 4 & 5. No excerises were given or P.T. yet, I did go for a ride today the weather was just to nice not to try, only for about 2 hours. The only problem I have right now is my belt rubbing on the incesion, but no other problems so far.other than being bored and ready to go back to work. Again Thank you.

Glad to hear all went well hogwild. Hope you keep improving down the recovery path.
Thanks for the update.

Good to hear about the results, back pain is no fun, from a first hand experience, good luck and happy riding:s

I had a e-ticket ride in a cobra helicopter and had lower back probems for years.last year they sent me to a spine clinic and the doc's said quote no surgery and I would be in worse shape if I had it done l 3,l 4,l 5 and S1.
he did recommend RFA and I had this done last june.it doesn't kill all the pain it did make a big improvement and made the pain tolerable.
just a heads up if you guys need it.
info
http://www.ohiorehabcenter.com/pdf/Lumbar RFA1109.pdf
View attachment Lumbar%20RFA1109.pdf

I do get to ride on my good days and even if its only a short ride I am all smiles when I get back home.

YouTube - AH-1 Multi-Weapon Fire Control System

Back