free website stats program Spinal Fusion | Harley Davidson Forums

Spinal Fusion

hogwild

Has anyone had their spine fused and still been able to ride? If I won't be able to ride afterward it ain't going to happen.

Jack's the expert on riding with back issues.

Hopefully he'll chime in soon.

Can say on fusion but dad has couple Ti rods and screws and rides my 98 Fatboy

Had one in 96. L5-S1. Took a while back then to get over it. Fine now. My wife had the same. She was back on her feet in no time. She had no problems either.

Dont know about how much damage you may have, I have been able to ride even with severe damage to L-4 and 5 with nerve root damage in left leg. My understanding about fusion is it reinforces the damaged area and should be good to go, What does your dr say I would grill him on this, Good Luck I know your pain, Get a second opinion, when it comes to the back some times they can do more damage, My saw bones says its too late for me and I have been to the Mayo Clinic and have them still working on me

Depends on were they doing it and a lot depends on how hard you are will to working getting back in sahpe.
I know riders with all kinds of injuries that still ride.
Comes down to YOU.
The recovery time will depend a lot on shape you in now but if you can walk chnace are with some working out the doc allows no reason you can not ride.

Very sound advice here, I went thru physical therapy and still do my exercises to strengthen the back and stomach muscles as well as the legs, it is all connected starting at the neck and crisscrossing all the way down the front and back. I had no idea until they did the MRI how this all works but I do now and the DR saw no reason I could not ride, I may walk with a limp but I still ride, and one last thing expect to get shorter sooner one side affect of having back problems, stay in the wind and follow the Dr orders:s

I have had 3 Back surgerys..had the fusions, have titanium plate with screws. I ride with no problems for most of the time...sometimes it will hinder me on long rides more than 6 hrs....have to streach every fuel stop...pace yourself...you will know when to stop and get off....like Smitty said, depends on you and how hard you are willing to work getting back into shape. I have found walking to help alot...hang in their...RIDE!!..GOOD LUCK!

Has anyone had their spine fused and still been able to ride? If I won't be able to ride afterward it ain't going to happen.

Are we talking fusing vertabre here? That would be a whole new subject depending on how much damage there is and is there a pinched nerve?

Ive, had two fusions in my neck, and other then cold weather im fine. I also have two hip replacements and i ride as much as i can. Yes you will have to take some breaks but youll be fine. good luck to you

I had the disc taken out at C7-T1. peek spacer put in and fused. Was pinching nerve to make 3 fingers numb (pinky to middle). Woke up from surgery and had instant relief.
Had to wait 2 months (1st month no lifting more that 10 #'s second month 25#'s) but after that, no problems. So glad to have had it done.
Numb hand I could live with, but loss of muscle control in hand was big issue.(Hard to pull in clutch. not good!!!)
Hope this helps.

Back