free website stats program Speaking of Bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speaking of Bearings

Ball bearing have long life, and high performance. The disadvantage is those very features make them more prone to shock and vibration damage, due to the "relatively" sharp/small low friction contact area, the open areas inviite cavitation and suction, to keep lubricant inside sealed and contamination free. Good news is your aftermarket selection is from vendor HD is likely getting it's bearings from, so finding a good match is merely a matter of finding a good cross reference.

It is an SKF Explorer bearing 6205-2RSH. A double seal ball bearing.
Thanks for all the comments.

Thought some members may find this interesting. I was very curious exactly what type of bearing the SKF 6205 2RSH was and if it would be a good bearing choice to use in our wheel applications. I have not done a comparison to a genuine factory bearing but I can't imagine the SKF would not do the job.

The key point is you must buy the bearing having the "H" suffix. The "H" denote a special sheet steel reinforced contact seal of NBR rubber. Its the only model that is listed having excellent, dust & water exclusion along with superior grease retention. A standard SKF 6205 2RS (or Z, RSL, RZ, RS1..and the list goes on) would not be a good choice. The 2RSH is a little harder to find but it's the only one I would use other than a genuine factory bearing.
That $5 was a steal Mike!:p

Last edited:
Hard to believe a wheel bearing went out already on a 08, but living in all the interesting places you do, I would have probably ordered two sets, really enjoy your posts. Take care.
:cheers

Hoople,
Thanks for doing that research. Really makes me feel good to know I got such a good deal. In Laos now, when I go back for the bike I am going to stock up on bearings! Maybe bring a crate home someday! hahaha

Chopper,
Been very busy with new job and computer issues. Will be posting some photos of my Vietnam ride soon. Would appreciate comments as I am entertaining the idea of a book.
Harley Tracks - Hiways & Byways of Vietnam. 1st harley to ride solo north to south.
I hear some main hiways in Laos are great, but off the beaten path ya need a dirt bike. Rented one yesterday to go looking for elephants, but didn't find any. The Fat Boy would never make it through the jungle!
Mike

Back