free website stats program Speaking of Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Speaking of Bearings

mc2

Contributor
I know a little about bearings, and what I know for sure is I have a set of HD bearings arriving from the states 'soon'.
But, I found a shop here with SKF bearings made in France that are identical in all visual forms and measurements to the stock HD bearing. Price is $5 each!!
I suppose in an emergency situation I would install.
Would like to know more about bearings and if anybody knows of SKF.
Thanks

I would be more concerned about the type of lip seal that is used on the bearing than the bearing itself. There are so many types of seals that can be used.
Rotary Shaft Seals, Oil and Grease Seals - American High Performance Seals (Bottom of page)

I presume you are talking about front wheel bearings in which case your dealing with exposure to water, washing, soaps etc. Until I really understood the lip seals used by HD in their bearings, I probably would not substitute.

But to answer your question, SKF does make a premium product.

Actually both are correct...SKF bearings are fine...BUT you really should make sure they are a direct replacement by measuring with a micrometer to be sure. The other thing is make sure the seal and thrust surfaces are the same...bearings do have a "flatter side" in some cases, and some also have seals on BOTH sides which makes things even better regarding lube retention. Good machinist or documentation from knowledgable supplier should be able to help you get the right cross or upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting data. When the HD bearings arrive I will compare for future needs and pass info along to other ridders here.
It was the front left bearing that went out. I am very cautious about keeping pressure away from this when washing. My guess is that ridding in monsoonal rains must have taken its toll. Or HD just used an inferior product!
Just got news, as I write this, of another ridder who replaced while on the road in Thailand with an SKF and has not had any problems. Still, as mine will be here in days, will still do the comparison.

More questions: What is the basic type of lubricant used in these ball bearings?
I understand the critical importance of the seal. Why the ball bearing? I am sure there is a logical explanation, but I would think a roller, or timken type would handle weight and wear better than the ball type??

Why the ball bearing? I am sure there is a logical explanation, but I would think a roller, or timken type would handle weight and wear better than the ball type??

I have never inspected a set of HD wheel bearings but I would bet that the bearing failure you had was not due to the bearing just wearing out or having a bearing that could not handle the applied loads. Since these bearings are being used at such Slow RPM's, heat is definitely not breaking down the lubricant. I bet dollars to donuts water migrated past the seal. When used in the proper environment, it is amazing how well caged ball bearings with hold up.

Mike, what is the SKF number on that bearing.

Why the ball bearing? I am sure there is a logical explanation, but I would think a roller, or timken type would handle weight and wear better than the ball type??

The Timken tapered roller bearings are a better setup for this application, but the sealed ball bearing is cheaper and easier to install on a production line.

Ball bearings are used because they can withstand a load in the radial and also the axial (side to side) direction.

A standard roller bearing will only withstand load in the radial direction.

I think that some of the poblems with the new sealed bearings may be that they are not getting the inner spacers set to the right dimension, which causes the bearing to be cross loaded.

If the wheel becomes hard to turn when the axle nut is torqued, it is a good indication that the bearing is under a cross load.

By the way, jet engines are full of bearings made by SKF. Excellent bearings.

I think that some of the poblems with the new sealed bearings may be that they are not getting the inner spacers set to the right dimension, which causes the bearing to be cross loaded.

That is a Very good point I had not thought of. That would Sure be an early death for a ball bearing.

It is an SKF Explorer bearing 6205-2RSH. A double seal ball bearing.
The web site listed above is very 'educational'. The spherical roller bearings look like a great bearing, but they don't have them for this application. I sent a mail to SKF and they replied to my questions in 1 day. I am going to install them.
Thanks for all the comments.

Back