free website stats program spark plugs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

spark plugs

how can you special spec a plug anyways is a not true

I would have thought that also but just to check I tried to look up if a NGK was available for Harley. I can't believe it. Not a single plug available for anything after 2005. Maybe has something to do with ion detection.
Something about them is special(?)

im pretty sure you can get a ngk for 2005 and later i was looking b4 .. and the twin cam spark plug # is the same from 2k to 08 at least .. .. i do see what your saying that there site doesnt list anything .

Harley plugs and Champion plugs are close but not exact. The electrodes are slightly different as well as the insulators and ofcourse the H D script, but they are indeed made by Champion, Jack

Just for the fun of it I checked the resistance of a new Harley Plug (6R12 #32362-04).
It measures 33K. I have Never seen a resistor plug with that much resistance built into it. That's insane. 10K I can understand, but 33K. It must have something to do with the Delphi Ion Sensor current detection circuits.
I guess NGK wanted to stay away from that.

I would have thought that also but just to check I tried to look up if a NGK was available for Harley. I can't believe it. Not a single plug available for anything after 2005. Maybe has something to do with ion detection.
Something about them is special(?)

99-2010 Harley Twin Cam NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug DCPR7EIX
(#99-09twincam)

Spark Plugs

I use Champion RA8HC the cheapest I can find. I change them every 5K...never a problem.

Thorns

I used to index plugs on my Shovel and EVO. With the cams I had in those engines I thought they needed it. But I don't think it really was worth the time and effort I put into it. Don't do it any more though. Still have plenty of indexing washers. lol. Only worth it in a true racing engine.

The stock HD plugs are all that's needed for these engines. Replacing the plugs with the fancy plugs is a waste of money and makes no difference in performance with a basically stock engine. Also indexing the plugs on a stock engine will not show any improvement that is noticable. Leave the fancy tricks to the racing crowd.

I understand this is true. I was just reading about plugs and from what I read basically the only difference is how long they last. This is copper vs platinum vs iridium. I do have a '91 flhtcu and I do believe it got better mileage when I put the "split tail" plugs in. Not sure what the official name is but it supposed to make a bigger spark. It's been several, 15 years?, since I changed over to those.

Back