free website stats program Sound or Power | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sound or Power

Would you choose sound or power for a head pipe ?

• Power

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Sound

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I have 4 inch Rineharts that I took off my prev ultra thinking I was going to put them on the 15 but than decided to just leave the bike stock, maybe as I get older I lean more to a quieter ride, most of them are in the 700 mile 2 or 3 day trips and music has become my friend and the deap sound from the Rineharts as nice as it is, may just stay in my past.
But extra sound from after market pipes do get the attention from someone drifting into my lane, so I guess I'm on the fence on this one.
Thanks for starting this thread.
This is why these bikes are called Geezer Glides. You want to enjoy the journey... As I have said I removed aftermarket mufflers and I too have doubled miles in a ride.
As to getting attention, unless drag pipes I believe you are luring your self into a false sense of security. Ever see drivers not getting out of the way of emergency vehicles with lights flashing and sirens blaring. They do not paying attention while driving for there are more important things in their minds than driving.

Not talking about loud, talking about sound. Dressers or true duals give you that traditional Harley sound, where you can hear each cylinder. The new Power duals or Tru X head pipes, mix the sound from both cylinders and it is not as pronounced, but you do get the advantage of extra power. So I will rephrase the question.
Would you sacrifice the Harley sound for a small gain in power.

No. There won't be a noticeable difference in sound; not enough to sacrifice power. The stock motor needs all the help it can get.;)

No. There won't be a noticeable difference in sound; not enough to sacrifice power. The stock motor needs all the help it can get.;)
Exactly why I am modding my stock mufflers ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. My research showed that there is only a slight difference in sound, so I opted for more power.
I purchased a full exhaust today. Hoping to install it next week.
I went with:
V&H FP3 tuner
V&H V02 Naked Air Filter
V&H Power Duals Head Pipe
V&H OS 450 Destroyer Slip ons
PS, I also researched price and saved $320.00 with revzilla price matching.

I am new to riding and friends are trying to convince me to put on louder pipes because "loud pipes save lives." Anyone think this is true? More power is great and all but a safer ride is also. I like it stock and don't really want to change the music.

I see people yackin on their phones,blasting stereo's,getting cut off is fairly common,that's why there's a horn on the bike.Loud pipes are obnoxious.

I am new to riding and friends are trying to convince me to put on louder pipes because "loud pipes save lives." Anyone think this is true? More power is great and all but a safer ride is also. I like it stock and don't really want to change the music.
Your ride u decide

I see people yackin on their phones,blasting stereo's,getting cut off is fairly common,that's why there's a horn on the bike.Loud pipes are obnoxious.
See post #11.............

Back