free website stats program Sometimes I get lazy....... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sometimes I get lazy.......

No damage being done. Most all Harleys will do it especially cold. Would try to get in the habit when cold starting in nuetral...

Yea reminds me of a previous thread a few months back on this similar subject. Someone posted something like,

'For added excitement try doing that in very cold temperatures' :lolrolling

A change in primary oil will minimize the jumping when starting it. It's caused by the parasitic drag in the clutch plates and an oil that is driving the plates when you operate the clutch. It's more annoying than damaging.

As previously stated, it doesn't hurt anything but it puts less load on your starter if you start in neutral. Given the choice, I would start in neutral. Sometimes you just can't so be ready for the jump.

It is just the nature of a muliplate wet clutch when the oil is cold it is a bit more sticky than when hot
also when the clutch is spinning it helps to throw the oil clear
Most hd motorcycles have a bit of a clunk or wee lurch when selecting 1st when cold this can be minimised by holding the clutch in for 5 sec prior to selecting that 1st gear it allows the oil to be thrown clear
if starting with the bike in gear when cold you will always get the lurch

Brian

One thing I would check IS the "clutch adjustment"...

Also Where the clutch Cable free-play is.. 1/16 to MAX 1/8 inch at the handlebar when pulling on the cable housing and look at that distance from the handle stop.. This is called cable Free Play...(set when cold)

I would NOT want more than a Full 1/2 turn off the clutch at stop...(set when cold)
More than 1/2 turn out, allows the clutch plates to be CLOSER together(less separation) and the DRAG you notice...

More than that 1/2 turn out on the clutch adjustment will affect the distance between the plates (LESS)...
I like have that FULL distance especially when sitting at a red light with my clutch pulled in,,,,, as I keep it IN GEAR and ready for a quick get away if needed...

Those ways described above uses "Less clutch plate friction drag" resulting in less wear on the clutch.

I use MTL redline OR Redline V-Twin Primary Oil.. Both work good,,, Help the primary out of the "too heavy primary oil" syndrome...

Redline Keeps things smoother and Less friction cold than formal+ or Other Heavy primary lubes...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

.....Most hd motorcycles have a bit of a clunk or wee lurch when selecting 1st when cold this can be minimised by holding the clutch in for 5 sec prior to selecting that 1st gear it allows the oil to be thrown clear...Brian

Since reading this in an earlier thread, and trying it out, it works great. Makes selecting 1st a lot smoother when she's cold.

Well she jumps but I've been telling myself she's just buckin' a little gettin' all excited to go. More than an inch but less than six. I'll just adjust the clutch as soon as I feel like playing in the tools again.

A change in primary oil will minimize the jumping when starting it. It's caused by the parasitic drag in the clutch plates and an oil that is driving the plates when you operate the clutch. It's more annoying than damaging.

I have Amsoil motorcycle 20w50 in all the holes about 1000miles old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds normal. I was taught to start in neutral when cold but after the bike is warmed up it doesn't matter...:)

I have Amsoil motorcycle 20w50 in all the holes about 1000miles old.
I think part of your problem is IF YOU Have 20/50 in the tranny IT is NOT enough viscosity Like a good GEAR OIL to slow down the turning of the gears in motion...

Not disputing the Good quality of Amsoil but it is Not a GEAR OIL..

I would NOT use My choice of Redline 20/50 in the tyranny .... I use Redline Shockproof Heavy there as it is a gear oil.

We have also been doing a lot of talking about Not blipping the throttle and keeping it at a Normal idle and Holding in the clutch for a count of 5 and It DOES make a difference in Less or NO clunk...

signed....BUBBIE

I always look for the green light before starting. Sometimes lazy is okay and sometimes it will get you in trouble. If something does go wrong with the clutch, your pride and joy (and your pride) might just get dumped in inglorious fashion. Or even worse, someone could get hurt. Like putting on a seatbelt in the car, it becomes automatic after a while. It's worth the effort to always seek N first imo.

Back