free website stats program Sometimes I get lazy....... | Harley Davidson Forums

Sometimes I get lazy.......

Sunnysideup

and instead of searching for neutral, I just squeeze the clutch and start her up in first gear. When I do, she jumps forward a bit. Out on the road she shifts like a champ. Is this an indication that the clutch is a little out of adjustment?

i used to do this on my dads goldwing until the cluch got so bad it almost put the bike into the garage wall.

Well I was kinda wondering if that might be possible,

(No damage being done. Most all Harleys will do it especially cold. Would try to get in the habit when cold starting in nuetral...)

since it shifts flawlessly down the road.

DBMG - By the way are you a Steelers fan?

Last edited by a moderator:
DBMG - By the way are you a Steelers fan?

Not a hard core fan. In the last 2 auto dealers I worked at some Steelers were my customers. Wife's family has season tickets and in 12 years I have been to 1 preseason game. SO, not so much....

Guess I should have asked how much it moves forward. What dbmg is refering to, it should only move about an inch. Any more that that, I would adjust the clutch.

My '09 Softail does the same thing. I've made a habit of grabbing the front brake and the clutch when starting the bike. I prefer to start in neutral, but just in case I'm not in neutral, braking helps. Also... bike seems to start easier in neutral.

Back