free website stats program Solenoid 'chatter' but what to do next ? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Solenoid 'chatter' but what to do next ?

You should see a large connection directly below the IN post where the battery cable connects. This is what I was referring to.

Also you should see a green wire attached to the solenoid with a plug, this is what I was referring to in the above post. It is where the wiring from the bike attaches to so the solenoid can be energized.

Glider : thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to be sure of the correct terminals.

1. POS battery jumped to terminal served by small green wire = same old solenoid chatter.

2. POS battery to OUT post hmmmm ... I can see a heavily rubber shrouded 'cable' which runs underneath the bottom of the solenoid cover and enters the starter motor. This must be the OUT post ... but have I got to split away the waterproofing to do this ? It seems really well protected and do I really have to break it open ? I'll do what's necessary but I don't want to cause problems.

cheers

RR

I can see a heavily rubber shrouded 'cable' which runs underneath the bottom of the solenoid cover and enters the starter motor. This must be the OUT post

It's directly below the IN where the battery cable attaches.

That be the one but you should be able to get to the connection without destroying any covering.

If all this fails, you may want to load test the battery and double check the cables for resistance over the normal.

Testing Battery Cables - Harley Davidson Community

OK, thanks again, I really do appreciate the help.

I am just having trouble with the 'out' post though.
I know you said that it's directly below the 'in' post but I have my 'in' post which has 2 cables attached to it, sitting on top of my solenoid housing, which sits next to the starter motor in about a 2 o'clock position. The only thing that resembles any sort of terminal is the rubber shrouded heavy gauge line I mentioned before which enters the starter motor at about its 4 o'clock position. I've tried prising this away from the starter motor and along its length but it'll tear before it reveals anything ! ... which can't be good.
What I've described is all I can see.
Is that shrouded line going into the starter motor actually the 'out' post ? It does enter just about below the 'in' post but I can't get on to it without damage.

I will have to take the battery off and get it load tested and report back but I can do cable resistance testing myself.

cheers

RR

As the sun rises on another day, still my bike wont come out to play :(

I have now had the battery load tested. The opinion of the guy at the repair shop who tested it said ... 'it's as good as a new one'.

There are no resistance issues with cables.

So it comes back to what to do next ?

Perhaps, as I mentioned before, could it be that the starter motor just decided to say ... OK, that's it, I've had enough ?

cheers

RR

Specifically checked / replaced the starter relay = No

BUT

I have bypassed the starter relay (with no benefit) by removing it and bridging the #30 and #87 terminals (original instructions from Hoople earlier in the thread)

RR

That suggestion would bypass the relay but what about the wiring for the same to the starter, possible there's a problem there?

Hi Glider and thanks for the help again, it's genuinely appreciated.

Are we then talking about jumping from the BAT POS terminal directly to the OUT post of the solenoid again ?

If you go back only 2 or 3 posts, this is the one thing I was struggling with when you tried to help before. Sorry if I'm being dumb but I just don't see it ...

As I asked before is the solenoid OUT post that heavily rubber shrouded line going into the starter motor ?

cheers

RR

As I asked before is the solenoid OUT post that heavily rubber shrouded line going into the starter motor ?

Yes on the question above.

As far as jumping the bike wiring, take a piece of 14 gauge wire and go from the POS on the battery to the small terminal on the solenoid that has the green wire on it now after unplugging that wire making sure the bike is in neutral. If it cranks OK then you have a problem in the bike wiring/system.
If not, you more than likely have a starter / solenoid problem assuming you have eliminated all possible sources in the wiring in the starting system like cables and grounds.

The purpose of trying to get to the solenoid "out terminal" is to eliminate the complete starting system and see if the starter cranks normal. Don't forget to keep a full charge on the battery to eliminate any false positives.

Last edited:
Back