free website stats program Softail Heritage vs. Road King | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Heritage vs. Road King

They are definitely two different bikes.... the 2009 Road King does have an advantage with the new chassis this year. You are the only one who can make this decision.... each will sit a little different and ride differant. One is a softail and the other touring family. The answer will be... looks...ride...and price and maybe not in that order. As already posted ride each and take you time and decide. :D

While you are trying to get a bike that "fits" you and your style . Don't forget that your riding style will change according to the bike you are on also. I have a RKC but taking into account what you have said the Heritage may be the bike for you. Once you put some time on the bike you will adapt to the bikes quirks (they all have them) and it will feel comfortable. All these bikes have a lot of thought and have evolved into what they are today. In my opinion you can't make a wrong choice but you may evolve to another model in the future according to your needs. A good example of a bikes quirks is the floorboard placement on the RKC makes it harder to back up when compared to some others. The floorboards are so close togather that you don't have much room to move when trying to walk the bike. On the other hand the open road vibration of a "B" motor can wear on you until you get used to it. So don't look at a bikes traits as a negative just as something different because what you consider now as a negative may in the future be something positive and what seems to be a good trait you may grow to dislike .
I hope this helps..
Jack

While you are trying to get a bike that "fits" you and your style . Don't forget that your riding style will change according to the bike you are on also. I have a RKC but taking into account what you have said the Heritage may be the bike for you. Once you put some time on the bike you will adapt to the bikes quirks (they all have them) and it will feel comfortable. All these bikes have a lot of thought and have evolved into what they are today. In my opinion you can't make a wrong choice but you may evolve to another model in the future according to your needs. A good example of a bikes quirks is the floorboard placement on the RKC makes it harder to back up when compared to some others. The floorboards are so close togather that you don't have much room to move when trying to walk the bike. On the other hand the open road vibration of a "B" motor can wear on you until you get used to it. So don't look at a bikes traits as a negative just as something different because what you consider now as a negative may in the future be something positive and what seems to be a good trait you may grow to dislike .
I hope this helps..
Jack

Thanks Jack... very insightful post. Had I not ridden the heritage right after the RK, I probably would not have noticed the comfort difference, as the RK is hardly uncomfortable, just less ergonomically suited to me than the heritage. I could definitely adjust to the RK. And I know what you're saying about riding styles and what one wants in a bike changing over time. I know that whichever bike I choose will likely not be my last one. I've really got to ride the two again to see if my initial observations still hold, and then just go with my gut... both are super cool looking bikes, that have a lot of similar physical characteristics which I like (bags, big ol' fenders, white wall tires). I will not be making a purchase until next spring anyway, so who knows what I'll want by then????

regards,
Drew

Since the introduction of the 96B balanced engine,the Softails have a smoother ride.No more vibrations in your mirrors,handlebars and in the footboards.My wife even feels the difference after riding all day(as compared to the 92 Evo we owned).The styling of the Heritage should win you over!

Last edited:
Since the introduction of the 96B balanced engine,the Softails have a smoother ride.No more vibrations in your mirrors,handlebars and in the footboards.My wife even feels the difference after riding all day(as compared to the 92 Evo we owned).The styling of the Heritage should win you over!

The 88B was the predecessor the the 96B which does in fact vibrate more than the 88 did. They still give you a buzz but not like the older unbalanced engines did.

A lot of great Input on here,
I would have to echo Tigg's comments. They are both sweet rides. I think you are taking the right approach and and doing your home work.

I was fortunate to have a great buddy who had the RKC and a FB, I rode them both for many miles and hours over a period of a year. I loved the RKC but standing at 6'4"-235lbs with a 34 inseam I just felt cramped on it, not the bikes fault but mine (or my mom and dad!). The FB felt alot more "roomy" to my needs and size, the leg room was there and I felt I was sitting "in" the bike and not "on" the bike comapared to the RKC. Over a 6 month period, My dealer was kind and let me test ride the RKC, FB and Heritage sevral times over untill I had made my mind up.
The Heritage had won me over and have no regrets at all on my choice. As you can see I was looking for comfort over the balanced or un-balanced engine, that did not bother me one way or the other.
It's beenjust about a year (9K) come next week that i have owned it and have adjusted my bars several times and my highway pegs numorus times to find that "just right feeling", but that is all the fun of owning one and tweeking it to YOUR liking.
I wish you luck and safe riding!

A lot of great Input on here,
I would have to echo Tigg's comments. They are both sweet rides. I think you are taking the right approach and and doing your home work.

I was fortunate to have a great buddy who had the RKC and a FB, I rode them both for many miles and hours over a period of a year. I loved the RKC but standing at 6'4"-235lbs with a 34 inseam I just felt cramped on it, not the bikes fault but mine (or my mom and dad!). The FB felt alot more "roomy" to my needs and size, the leg room was there and I felt I was sitting "in" the bike and not "on" the bike comapared to the RKC. Over a 6 month period, My dealer was kind and let me test ride the RKC, FB and Heritage sevral times over untill I had made my mind up.
The Heritage had won me over and have no regrets at all on my choice. As you can see I was looking for comfort over the balanced or un-balanced engine, that did not bother me one way or the other.
It's beenjust about a year (9K) come next week that i have owned it and have adjusted my bars several times and my highway pegs numorus times to find that "just right feeling", but that is all the fun of owning one and tweeking it to YOUR liking.
I wish you luck and safe riding!

I too like the feeling of sitting in the heritage, opposed to sitting on the RK. However, that RK seating position, I suppose, would give a slightly higher vantage point, which could be of benefit... not sure. My dealer has been accomodating, and I will have to ride each bike again... but I'm leaning toward the Heritage, even though I want to like the RK better (don't ask me why). I am 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam, and I can flat foot the RK, no problem (and obviously the heritage). The bars on the RK do force me to lean forward a bit, though.

Twisted-I can't tell from your avatar, but are your saddle bags sans studs? To me, that is the one styling flaw of the heritage... my wife actually likes that look, and I don't hate it, but would rather have a less flashy look. I'll have to decide if it's worth spending an extra $800+ for another set of bags just to not have the studs... I know those are a signature trait of the heritage.

I asked my friend for an opinion, on looks alone, between the heritage and RK, and he said: "I like the RK, the Heritage looks too 'biker gang'"? My thoughts: "Biker gang? Cool!" :s

I appreciate all of these comments.

regards,
Drew

You'll know you've made the right choice when you're riding it home.There is no wrong choice.When I'm at an H-D Dealership, I would like to bring home one of each model.Good Luck and hope to see you on the road.Incidently,today is my first day on this forum.Howdy to all and I look forward to making many new friends!

Last edited:
Drew,
Yes they have the studs on them and the seat as well. They don't bother me at all, kinda old school look to me. When i am cruzing down the road @ 70mph, I don't seem them.:D

Welcome King, enjoy your stay! (Born & Raised in Hackensack N.J.)

Back