free website stats program So how do you pick which bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

So how do you pick which bike?

In 2007 I picked up an 06 rd king police, spent the winter de-policeing it and added a detachable backrest and a detachable tour pac. my wife and I run somewhere almost every weekend. when we tour its the tourpac, when were running around home its the detachable backrest, when its just me I strip the windshield and backrest and it becomes yet another diffrent bike.I could not think of a more user friendly bike out there. ( jmho ) go ride a couple of different models and as stated earlier one will pick you! good luck.

I went with my heart instead of my head when I chose my current ride. My brother still gives my grief for spending more on an old bike instead of buying a newer, more comfortable ride or keeping what I had. There are times on longer rides (when my lower back feels like it got ran over by a tractor) when I wonder... But when I run a rag over the 'ol girl all that goes away. Keep in mind that most of my rides are under 2 hours. If I were passing more pavement, this would not have been the best choice. Down the road when I get more funds, I will have another bike for those longer rides-good balance.

If you like the FB, keep it; it's a Heritage Softail without the bags and widnshield. Get a decent touring seat with removable passenger pillon (Mustang), some decent saddlebags, removable of course, a removable backrest that will support a TBag and a wind shield; check Memphis Shades and Windvest.

The FLHT is no longer available but for a basic touring machine, the best value. There should be some deals on '08s; last year for this model. I have an old FLHT that is in Street Glide trim most of the time but when we take off on a trip, passenger pillon, backrest and TBag go on. The thing I like about the basic FLHT is that you can add what you need/want instead of taking all the extras that come on the UC, not my cup of tea. JMHO

Always wanted a bagger.Had a sporty and a heritage and it was time to make a move.Found this peace officer edition at a good price and could not turn it down .

I own both a Road King and an Electra Glide Classic - nothing that I've ridden surpases the Electra Glide for carving a hole through the wind. The RK, on the other hand, offers something that no Electra Glide can give, and that's the Steve McQueen thing - strip all the extra junk off the bike and give the bugs a home...

I own both a Road King and an Electra Glide Classic - nothing that I've ridden surpases the Electra Glide for carving a hole through the wind. The RK, on the other hand, offers something that no Electra Glide can give, and that's the Steve McQueen thing - strip all the extra junk off the bike and give the bugs a home...

Wouldn't that be 'give the bugs a graveyard'? :p

Just checkin.

Someone above said "..the bike picks you..". I have to agree with that. Like you, most of my rides are only a few hours duration and for that I don't need "baggage". Likewise, I don't need music while on my bike, my tunes are now provided by Vance & Hines! I did make a few concessions to comfort, I changed the seat to a "tallboy" seat which has a more comfortable passenger seat, and added a quick-detach windshield for use on weedend rides. As far as I'm concerned I only need room for my raingear, jeans, underwear and American Express. I can get that all in a roll bag or backpack. But mostly my decision was made by the personal comfort of the ride. I am a little taller than most, and found the forward controls, handlebars and seating on my Wide Glide most comfortable of all the bikes I tried. Ultras are not "tall guy friendly" in my opinion.
Enjoy your search, and take lots of test rides.

That was me.

Funny story on my bike. (at least to me).

I went on an 11 day ride with 30 members of our local HOG chapter. We met at the HD store and we were having a pre-ride meeting. A purple Ultra was sitting on the showroom floor and my buddy grabbed my camera and told me to stand by the bike. After the pic he said "too late, that bike is yours now. You stole it's soul with the picture".

This HD store isn't the one I go to. But they are owned by the same people. My local store had a purple one as well which is what I was looking at.

Fast forward 10 days...I called my sales guy about the purple Ultra and he said someone bought it. But there was one on the showroom floor at the other store (which is the one I had my picture taken with). I told him if he didn't sell it by the end of the day, to put a "Sold" sign on it.

So the bike I got was the one my picture was taken with 12 days prior. My friend was right. I stole it soul and that bike picked me.

Now...the guy who bought the one I was originally looking at? He dumped it less than a week later.

Like most stuff I want I can rationalize buying it. I could make a case for a UC or RK by saying I'm gonna tour and a my wife will come with me. Forgetting the 16 back surgeries and 3 neck she has had. My more recient personal travel history says the touring is gonna be a mostly NOT and if I do tour it will be without the wife and I'm a minimalist, I can get away with saddle bags, and a seatpack.

My last motorcycle, meaning the one I just bought, not it being the last one I will own, was a FB. I knew I wanted a Softail just which one. I thought I wanted a Custom but when I saw the FB I now own I had to have it.

IMO the most practical bike is a bagger. You can ride it around town and tour on it. However, practical is not the way I always think.

I have a wants vs. needs issue. Wants usually......ok always wins.

I love my FB....I loved my Sportster and will love my Road King or Ultra when I get it....but I will keep the FB too.

I need a bike. It's therapy. But if that was the only case, I could be riding a sportster or worse(rice burner).

Having a bagger is all about want. Nothing more. :D

Back