free website stats program So how do you pick which bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

So how do you pick which bike?

Sheepdogmarine

I love my Fatboy, but have recently been checking out the touring models. I am planning on some longer trips with the wife and think more room might be better.

It is tough trying to pick one. I don't like windshields, so the Road King is appealing, without the shield of course. But then maybe on long trips, a shield or fairing is better. The Electra Glide Ultra Classic is nice, but to me it is just not as "cool" looking as Fatboy or Road King. My wife says it is an old man's bike.:( Has tons of storage though. Then there is a Road Glide, also nice.

So how did you guys decide which to get? I know they are all nice. Does anyone have any regrets about a certain model?

I am going to go try Road King tomorrow and maybe the Ultra Classic, maybe that will help.

For those with fairings, do you get enough wind when it is really hot?

Thanks and ride safe!

No regrets here, I traded in my fatboy for an 09 Electra Glide Classic. Converted the tour pak to detachable for when it is just me riding.

I wouldn't travel long distances without my windshield. My last 4 bikes have had one and the only time I consider taking it off is when I'm cruising around town. But now that I'm on a bagger its always there.

I get enough wind on hot days. The ultra has wind deflectors on the fairing that you can set where they blow air. The work great. Also, the lowers can be opened and closed depending on whether you want more air or not. So in my view, I'm happy with the air I get.

As far as picking a bike, I was always told that the bike picks you. In my latest purchase, I would say that it did!!

Man that is a beauty of a FB. You can get all kinds of detatchable gear for that. Huge, saddlebags, windsheilds luggage racks, and a number of other types of luggage. I had an EG for my last bike and did not want the full fairing and hard bags and all that stuff. I'm very happy with my herritage I have now, wich is basicaly the same thing as a FB. I can carry quite a bit of stuff on a long ride with all the atatchments. What makes it nice is I can strip it all down too when it's just me in a couple seconds. My wife realy likes the big mustang seat we bought and says its realy comfy. I got the best both worlds I think.

Traded my Heritage for my Electra Glide Classic 2 years ago, and couldn't be happier. My wife also said it's an "old mans" bike, until she saddled up on it. With-in 5 minutes she told me to turn around and go buy it! :D IMO if your going for a "long" ride an Ultra the way to go! However I would suggest taking each for a test drive and see which one you ( and your wife! ) are most comfortable on!:rider

The Electra Glide Ultra Classic is nice, but to me it is just not as "cool" looking as Fatboy or Road King.

If your still the Cool" stage then buy the "Cool" bike. When you want comfort then buy a touring bike. The only question I kept asking myself is why did I wait so long to buy my Ultra. To me it is the "coolest" bike I have ever owned.:s Certainly the most comfortable and practable bike for me and my wife I have ever riden. Be safe.

My Road King does a great job touring (with w/shield), and cruisin' around town (without w/shield).

Thorns

With a Touring Bike you will want a Windshield/Fairing, Helps with some of the Wind and Bugs. If you can swing it keep the FB and get a Touring Bike, You can make it your own.

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

I had a RK and now have an UC. I really loved the RK and didn't want to go with the UC because I didn't want a faring and the bulkiness of the UC. However, I have no regrets going to the UC. Very comfy for the wife and I, what a great ride. We like to take weekend rides, you will be surprised at how much stuff you can take. Plus as stated the electronic cruse is GREAT!

It took me awhile to get used to the faring as it adds some extra weight and feels totally different. The adjustable wind deflectors are great! Keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Bottom line will be personal choice for feel and comfort for you and the wife.

Back