free website stats program Snow Country | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Snow Country

Here's my solution to 6 months of winter in Canada. Usually we can get to Arizona in two days if the weather & highway conditions are good. A few weeks of riding in the South West in January or February always feels good.

I know I will get hammered by some of the guys here on the forum about trailering my bike, but it's usually the only way we can do any serious riding during the cold, cold winters here in the Great White North!

riviera+reg-albums-reg%27s+bagger-picture3177-arizona_h_d_pics_095.jpg

One good thing this year I heard is the county is short on funds. Who isn't? This means less salt to go around. Good. Great. That's really the only thing that keeps my bike in the garage. That and 12 inches of snow. It is 12 degrees this morning but going to 30 sunny and no snow. Oh yea, and no salt. Maybe we'll go for a ride.

While the winters in TN are not the worst, they are wet and mildly cold. The constant change in the weather drives my wife's arthritis nuts, so we are heading to AZ this winter. Need a place to live while there, so the 5th wheel has to go which means the dyna gets a ride. Better to trailer the bike there and be able to ride than to wait out the weather a catch a short spin every few days at home.

I'd love to see 15 or 20 degrees. Thermometer here hasn't broken -5f in a week and a half. I look at it this way, only 13 days until daylight hours start getting longer.

Nothing wrong with trailering in my book. :s What Jake said, better to trailer & have the bike than to not trailer & not have the bike. We trailer a bit just because we plan a lot of things into one trip. If it means I get to ride somewhere new, I'm all for it. We also have the option to unload a bike & take turns riding different areas for the trip. Works out for us.

RR, RJ & JF have the right idea..."flying" south for the winter has been done for years by our fine feathered friends in nature. And most of us who ride V-Twins have evolved a bit above the caveman to pretty much figure out what works.

For me, I am glad I live in SoCal...where heavy rain or wind is the only real limiting factor for year 'round riding...BUT we pay dearly for the privilage...taxes and higher cost of living in the sunny climes being what they are. When I moved here, I did not even know about 1/4" thick sheet rock, with no insulation in the walls was standard fare...the standard house heater is no bigger than a small dorm refridge...crazy huh, that is why we go nuts when that funny white stuff starts falling...must be a fire somewhere, wonder why the air is so fresh and clean!!! :small3d007:

Last edited:
I'd love to see 15 or 20 degrees. Thermometer here hasn't broken -5f in a week and a half. I look at it this way, only 13 days until daylight hours start getting longer.

Straight North of you and the same thing it has been a cold week and a half:(

Spring is only 4 1/2 months away:newsmile08:

Back