free website stats program Slooow riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slooow riding

I found myself in this same situation earlier in the week... first time I've dealt with it on the RK. I was pleased with my "performance" in that situation (bumper to bumper traffic on the Edens expressway). Others have all given good advice. Keep the RPMs up, feather the clutch, use the rear brake to stabilize the bike, look where you want to go.

RLAP DVDs are very good... I need to learn how to scrape my foot boards like they do. I still need lots of work on my U turns on the RKC.

ride safe
Drew

Last edited:
Yup...just practice and keep you eyes and head up. Road condition has a lot to do with it too. If you've got "lane ruts" your gonna be all over if you don't watch it. Slow straight lines and U-turns to the left are easy BUT if I have to make a U-turn to the right.....GET OUTTA MY WAY CUZ I'M GO'N WIDE! I just don't understand that..

ride safe

Head and eyes up, look at a fixed point in the distance, drag the rear brake and use your cluch and throttle to control your speed. Should be good. Practice, practice, practice.

As far as U turns right and left for some reason righties don't like right U turns. I have the same problem and I'm a righty.

Practice. And while you're practicing your slow race skills, pratice your emergency skills also. If you're having problems going slow, you may have problems if you need to tap into your emergency stops, maneuvers and tight turning skills.

Lousy writer but here goes.Slow,slow riding is tough.Most use front brake far too much.Causes bikes to fall cause front wheel locks and turns.To avoid this do as follows.Slow with front and back brake while downshiffting.When at a crawl let off the front brake completely.Finish the stop with rear brake only while planting left foot.Get in a habit of this,cause you will be old like me and have to do it so the front brake doesn't throw you down.Look ahead and turn with your head,don't look down.Gloves or a cloth for wiping hands when it is hot and they get sweaty.Keep a string of beads handy,you never never know.

ride safe,

I would agree the aforementioned posts. I use the rear brake a bit while riding very slow in traffic. And again, practice is the key along with keeping your head and eyes far ahead. I do slow races at the runs and do quit well. Many will for some reason speed their engines up high thinking it will help...NOT! All it does is heat the motor up and hard on the clutch. Just my two cents worth.
Ugly John

One important item missed besides all the previous good tips...are properly adjusted and fitted motorcycle controls to the rider. I cannot tell you how many times this little item is missed...not by bicyclists, nearly as much as by motorcyclists which happens way too often. All your controls should fit your hands and feet comfortably with little "hunt and peck" action...but even with your eyes closed they should fit naturally.

Amazing how hard a motorcycle is to control when riding slow, if the rear brake pedal is too high, causing the riders shins to cramp or not be applied smoothly because of having to reach or lift or reposition the foot. How about that improperly adjusted clutch freeplay/friction point causing the rider to not be able to control drive to the rear wheel, or abrupt throttle response caused by poor fueling or improperly adjusted cables when turning the bars lock to lock.

Oh, don't forget the front brake, during emergencies, (never "grab them") with a heavy application there should still be 1/4" between the lever and the grip. All these little misadjustments can conspire against the rider to make smooth transitions from braking to accelerating in traffic, or in uphill twisty roads more difficult than they should. Not only must the rider be "tuned up", but the motorcycle must be also. Spring is here...good time to start!

As always, the replies here are right on the money. The most important thing for me when I ride is the thread of "look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go". As contributors have said, the bike will follow like magic.....

Well, thanks, all you guys who responded. Sorta figured it'd simply take alot more practice than I've given it. I do appreciate all your input! It's what makes a forum like this worth while!

Happy Trails!

Luke

If you're still having trouble, take the "Riders Edge" course available thru the HD dealer. It is somewhat expensive but you'll learn low speed control as well as lots of other useful techniques. I just finished the course and I drive an ultra. I'm still not great but at least I know what I should be doing.

Back