free website stats program Slayed the dragon | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slayed the dragon

I've done the dragon a couple times. Once with the guys and once with the wife. It was a blast both times. The meeting at the dragon sounds like a great idea.

Hi Steve,
I'm heading up to the gap tomorrow. After riding on the streight and flat roads of Florida, I can't wait to get on the twisties. Gonna spend a week in TN, NC and VA. We'll ride the Chermula parkway as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway. Will report back when I get home.

I'll be vacationing at Ocean Isle NC all of next week, but plan on leaving from there Friday to ride up to Deals Gap. I am hoping to find a hotel near there to stay at Friday night. Some of my riding buddies are talking about riding down from Indiana to meet me at the 'Dragon' and we will ride through there and head back on Saturday. Should be a good time, and will be my first time there!

That sounds great. I bought some pics from Killboy up there and they looked pretty good. We love to go over there at least once a month but with two kids 15 and 9 it is kinda tough to get away. Next time we want to hit Maggie valley and blue ridge as well. I'll post pics if I can figure out how to do it. haha

When you see the smiley face on the road in spray paint......killboy is right around the next curve. So don't wobble too much hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't it a blast? There are a ton of good roads down there. Did a week in that area last summer. Realized I could never move there or I would never have a steady job. Would always be exploring.

Hey guys, I just seen this post. I am taking the dragon this summer for the first time. I can't wait. Any tips for a first timmer?

Ok, well I love a good challenge. I hope I can handle it, as long as I keep it between the navigational beacons...I will post about it when I get back, that should be sometime this summer.

Hey guys, I just seen this post. I am taking the dragon this summer for the first time. I can't wait. Any tips for a first timmer?

You'll have a blast. My best advice, never cross the centerline and drive at the speed you are comfortable with.:57:

You'll have a great time if you follow some common sense rules:

1) Ride within your own limits - never try to keep up with someone else or over drive your capabilities because someone is riding your tail.
2) If you can do it safely, let faster riders or drivers get by on the VERY short straight sections.
3)Stay in your own lane at all times. Sure is tempting to bump up your speed and use a little more of the road, including some of the other lane, but DO NOT DO IT! Most of the turns are blind, especially when the leaves fill in on the trees, so you never know what's coming around that turn towards you.
4)Stay within the posted speed limit. Depending on the time of year and day of the week, the presence of law enforcement can be pretty heavy and they do not hesitate to ticket you for any amount over the limit or crossing the center line at all.
5)Concentrate on the road and your desired line through each curve. Do not sightsee. It's just a bunch of trees!

Hope I didn't dampen your enthusiasm for your trip but this section of road must be taken seriously.

Also, while you're in this area you really must ride the Cherohala Skyway - more scenic, less technically challenging, longer ride. Nice little coffee/sandwich shop in "downtown" Tellico Plains.

Shoot, typing all this is giving me the bug to ride these 2 roads again! When are you planning to do it?

Id be up for that one as well. The first annual hdtimeline in person meet. Got a good ring to it

Another good place is maryville HD. My wife LOVES that place!!

Myself I am kinda scared of that place! There have been several people from my area to stop just for a T-shirt and leave on a new bike. My guess there is something in the coffee:bigsmiley24:

Respects..Joe

Back