free website stats program Skid Lids | Harley Davidson Forums

Skid Lids

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtexas

Banned
I have a question.
Why is it that people that ride Harleys don't wear helmets?
I would not get on a bike without one but I see 80% or more of the people on Harleys not wearing one and most "Metric" riders are wearing one.
Is the concrete softer when your on a Harley?
When I was in my 20s I didn't wear one but now that all my music is on the Classic rock station and I take pills now to stay alive , not get high,,, I wear one. :USA :TEXAS

I feel it's all personal choice and what someone else wears or don't wear while doing different things in life is up to them. I'm one of those people who does not believe an accident is going to happen and to prepare for it. I have been riding over 35 years and I think I'll die without bothering with having an accident. Do I think it's possible I will be involved in a bike accident, sure, but I also believe the longer I ride the less likely it will happen. All that to say I love riding without a helmet and do it as often as I can, even though I live the biggest nanny country in the world, Canada.

Maybe most metric riders wear helmets because the know they will probably do something stupid while they are riding. By my observation, most of them do.

There was a long thread regarding the pros and cons of wearing helmets...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_harley_davidson_topic/11426-do_you_wear_a_helmet-3.html

I have said before, wearing a helmet is the single easiest way to prevent head injury, requiring no special skill, rider prep or intervention...other than strapping it on...

Any alternative at best is gambling on conditions, countermeasures or avoidance skills which is the opposite of what an accidental collision is...an unexpected impact beyond which survival is purely a roll of the dice.

Last edited:
I guess my question is .. why does it matter what soemone else does.. ya wanna wear a helmet fine ya dont fine .. i do but its my chice so why does it matter ?

I guess what I was trying to ask was why do Metric riders wear helmets with 5 to 1 ratio over Harley riders. Maybe it is cause they are going to do something stupid like Davidw2415 said. If you want to ride without one, Go for it but I only have a few good brain cells left from the 80s and I need to keep the 7 I have left.

I think it should be 'your choice' but with someplaces it is a law, such as seatbealts. I feel that a helmet would help in a low speed accident, low being under 50 MPH. But then I know of a guy who had a accident with a car going only 35 and he would have been killed had it not been for the helmet, but he did break his neck and now he is just a veggie, wishing he was killed. Again, YOUR CHOICE.

I have a question.
Why is it that people that ride Harleys don't wear helmets?
I would not get on a bike without one but I see 80% or more of the people on Harleys not wearing one and most "Metric" riders are wearing one.
Is the concrete softer when your on a Harley?
When I was in my 20s I didn't wear one but now that all my music is on the Classic rock station and I take pills now to stay alive , not get high,,, I wear one. :USA :TEXAS

People that ride Harleys DO wear helmets. I have ridden nearly 90K miles and always wear a helmet and most of my riding pals do as well. And in Indiana we do not have a mandatory helmet law (nor am I in favor of one) if you have a motorcycle endorsement. A helmet is required when you have a beginners permit.

Do you know the difference in cycles well enough to know who is riding a Harley and who isn't? Many folk don't know the difference. They see any V-Twin machine and think it is a Harley-Davidson.

Why is it that when you were younger, by your own admission you took pills to get :devilhigh:devil instead of for medicinal purposes? Please respond.

I guess my question is .. why does it matter what soemone else does.. ya wanna wear a helmet fine ya dont fine .. i do but its my chice so why does it matter ?

If some guy was jumping off a clift, would.......... Well, you get my drift. I always wear a helmet, but it is a personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back