free website stats program Sirius install question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sirius install question

While most FM Modulated VHF, UHF XHF bands are line of sight, an antenna behind a non-conductive lexan or fiberglass fairing is no problem...in a metal bodied vehicle it IS. And since XM & Sirius radio bands do not need "long antennas" and are digitally encoded, they are resistant to "usual" AM/FM problems. :s

TQ is correct, Direct battery power to the bike is okay as long as it is fused if you like to play the radio with ignition off...but it could drain your battery if accidently left on. :33:

Direct feed audio to the OEM aux input is better sonically than the dual conversion FM tuner route: sending FM modulated (encoded) signal to open FM channel, to be demodulated (decoded) and run thru OEM pre-amp and power amp...! Just remember every device the audio goes thru degrades the signal to noise, plain law of physics (never get something without a cost) this applied to electronics and economics as well. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info on how to do this installation!

I will try mounting the antenna inside the fairing and see how that works. I like the idea of mounting it on top of the tail light also but when my tour-pack is on, that might interfere with the signal as the tourp-pack has a huge metal plate in the bottom.

While I have the front of the fairing off, I can to splice the power feed for the satellite unit into the back side of the lighter circuit as it is only hot when the ignition is on and will make for or a nice clean install.

As for feeding the signal directly into the stock stereo unit, I think I will have to obtain a patch cord from somewhere to plug into the mp3 jack as the kit didn't come with one. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one somewhere.

Again, thanks for all the great advice and photos. Now its time to get to work.:cheers

If your radio is equiped with download capability use it to the max. If you ride mountains and heavy wooded areas you will be extremely frustrated with interuptions and will click to memory. There is no magical place for an antenna...line of sight is line of sight.

I have a kit from TSS RADIO I found it by searching for motorcycle mounts , they should have everything you need . My kit came with the handle bar mount , docking unit , wire harness for power ( I use the cigar lighter power point ) antenna for the mc & mounting plate for the antenna & wire to plug in the unit to ACC port in the front of the radio , also comes with a cover for the unit to protect it from the elements . It is well worth the $$$ , the wires are not to long so you dont have to worry about long wires the antenna wire is about 6" long the ACC wire is about 24" long or so . I take my Sirius reciever out of my truck & put it on the mc in seconds :D. This way you only need 1 reciever & only have to pay for activating 1 reciever . The TSS unit was around $80 but the price depends on which unit you have .

I have my antenna under the fairing, on top of the radio. I have had no problems with the reception, at least while riding all over the west. the best sound is to use a cable to the aux plug in front of the radio, rather than the fm transmission. have read of some folks having volume and other issues using the fm.

P6093777.jpg

As for feeding the signal directly into the stock stereo unit, I think I will have to obtain a patch cord from somewhere to plug into the mp3 jack as the kit didn't come with one. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one somewhere.

You can pick that up at Radio Shack, only one I have ever found and it works. Most of the others are Y-connects that you will find.

Back