free website stats program Sirius install question | Harley Davidson Forums

Sirius install question

flh canuck

I recieved a Sirius Stratus satellite radio kit for Xmas and am thinking about installing it in my 08 Electra-Glide.

Has anyone had any issues or concerns with installation of this type of kit?

I read a previous post where the author stated he had installed the antenna on top of the stereo so I assume it was mounted inside the fairing.

I can't mount the antenna on my tour-pack because it is detachable. Does anyone know if the antenna can be hidden inside the fairing and if so would that impact the signal reception?

Also, the instructions mention that the satellite radio broadcast can be tuned in on the fm band of the stereo or hard-wired which would provide better sound quality.

Is it worth the extra effort to hard wire it into the stereo?

If so, would it simply plug into the mp3 jack or is there a specific input on the back of the stereo for this type of installation?

I dont really have any experience with satellite radio so any input or assistance with this type of install would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have any experience installing it on a motorcycle but have installed it in my car. Here is my 2 cents, based on that.

Inside the fairing will probably mess up reception. Mine in the car has to be outside or inside as close to the window as possible. Outside works better, but inside is how I have used it since it was cleaner to do. In general I lose signal only in heavy wooded areas or under bridges/overpasses.

FM band is not as clear as hard wiring. My car has an aux input that I used, this provides the best quality reception, depends on if you have the factory HD stereo or not, if this is available. As for worth it, not sure on the bike, depends on how well you can hear distortion and the amount of driving. For safety reasons I would say hard wire it, otherwise you are going to have to change the FM station on the radio and in the Sirius unit on occassion to get better reception.

If you have an MP3 jack, use it, this will work perfect and provide nice quality. My audio inputs are basically basic audio (red/white) down to a headphone jack. Other alternative is a hard wire FM overide, not as clear as the MP3 jack hookup, but probably would not notice the difference over the wind noise and helmet.

Let me know if I can provide any further input. It is worth the time to spend the extra on the install. I used FM for about a month before I got annoyed with it and went to hard wiring it.

On ebay a guy sells a bracket that uses the bolt holes in the master cyclinder to hold the radio bracket.It has a spoton the top to hold the antenna magnetically.I like the setup.I had my antenna inside the fairing it did and ok job but not a good one.I took my power from a wire inside the fairing and it does a fine job with much better reception.I play mine thru the aux cable on the HK radio.

The antenna needs to be mounted line of sight. (Think of in your car under a bridge at a traffic light..what happens?). I had a local machine shop buddy fab up a handlebar mounted bracket. I used part of the mounting kit that came with the receiver and then had him add a "shelf" for the magnetic antenna. I use the aux input on the HD unit rather than the FM mode, much better reception.

Attachments

• satellite mount 001.jpg
    satellite mount 001.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 84
  • satellite mount 002.jpg
    satellite mount 002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
  • satellite mount 003.jpg
    satellite mount 003.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 78
Is it worth the extra effort to hard wire it into the stereo?

If so, would it simply plug into the mp3 jack or is there a specific input on the back of the stereo for this type of installation?

I have a Sirius receiver on my '03 UC, but it is a different model radio (XACT). See the photos below.

You can use your FM radio to receive the FM signal from the Sirius, but the direct cable connection plugged into the input jack is better sound and will not get interfered with by a strong FM signal as you are travelling (photo).

Check this out for mounting kits:

Sirius for Motorcycles | TSS-Radio

TQ

Attachments

• Sirius Radio 1.jpg
    Sirius Radio 1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Sirius Radio 2.jpg
    Sirius Radio 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Sirius Radio 3.jpg
    Sirius Radio 3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 88
TQ, your a lifesaver. I have been looking for a way to mount my Sirius on my bike when in comes in and could not find anything. That is perfect for my Sportster4 receiver. Thanks.:D

TQ, your a lifesaver. I have been looking for a way to mount my Sirius on my bike when in comes in and could not find anything. That is perfect for my Sportster4 receiver. Thanks.:D

At your service! Glad to help.

You might find the exact setup for your system, and then search the web for a supplier in your area that you might be able to visit. Otherwise, as long as the radio is exact, the kit will probably come with several length screws to replace the ones on your controls (longer). One of the sets should fit just right!

TQ

I had the same problem trying to find a good mounting bracket ,and for a reasonable price, after searching around ,I made my own bracket , I found some 1/8'' thick steel flatstock 1'' wide , cut it 6'' in lenth, brake in vise 1'' at 45 deg 3'' straight then brake again opposite 45 deg , drill 1/4'' hole on the 1'' side rounded edges with grinder ,painted flat black. take the nut off from your mirror and mount on the underside of your hand control ,I mounted mine on the clutch side being I am lefty .if you have SG type mirrors just use the hole and by a nice bolt and nut to fit. I mounted the serius reciever using a heavy form of velcro sold by radio shack not really velcro but has the same type of locking system just a much more solid lock. I am very pleased with this bracket it is very stealthy strong and the location does not interfear with any gauge and easy to change channels. also mounted the antenna on the brake resivor cover at first ,it looked nice but found some reception problems , So I ended up mounting the antenna on the top side of my rear taillight lens with excellent reception. good luck with your install.

Attachments

• Picture 154.jpg
    Picture 154.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 76
hey TQ, how did you go about hooking up your power supply for your Sirius? I looked at the instructions and then looked at the tips section here about the accessory plug under the seat. I want to be able to connect it or be able to operate it with the accessories switch unless there is a better easier way to do it. not much of an electrician so any help would be great. They do have an exact fitment for my receiver so that is no problem. Just figuring out how top hook up the power supply is my problem. Thanks again TQ.

clint

hey TQ, how did you go about hooking up your power supply for your Sirius? I looked at the instructions and then looked at the tips section here about the accessory plug under the seat. I want to be able to connect it or be able to operate it with the accessories switch unless there is a better easier way to do it. not much of an electrician so any help would be great. They do have an exact fitment for my receiver so that is no problem. Just figuring out how top hook up the power supply is my problem. Thanks again TQ.

clint

I followed the instructions that came with the kit. They have the power supply hooked directly to the battery with an in-line fuse (all provided). The down side to this is that you MUST remember to turn off the Sirius manually. The plus side is you can listen to the Sirius radio without the bike turned on through headsets. The wire runs up under the seat to the inside of the fairing and out the left side handlebar holes. I like those mini tie wraps and use them freely!! I also ran the hardwire from the Sirius to the jack on the front of the bike radio. Brought the wire out under the radio and doubled back to the jack (see the photo above). I would check the back of your radio to see if there are any Input jack on the new ones. Mine does not have one, and I did NOT want to mess with the mod plugs.

I did see the info that Glider had posted about using the Acc plug under the seat. That would be a good way to do it so that the Sirius turned off with the bike. I chose NOT to do it that way, however. Personnal choice on that one.

TQ

Back