free website stats program SIDE SEAnd???? | Harley Davidson Forums

SIDE SEAnd????

JD Cooper

I am having difficulty , and I need to know if this is a common thing, and what the solution is...

I purchased a custom Harley ( background: it's a 2010 road king police frame, completely redone with 2014 EVERYTHING, CVO bars, and a couple other things.)

I had an issue with the wiring on the passing lamps, (not covered by warranty, as the bars are internal wired) and put it in for yearly service.

I picked it up tonight, all the lights work, but when I get to about 65-70 in 6th gear, I get all indicator lights on the speedometer light up and a scrolling message that says "SIDE SEAnd"

The indicator only trips in 6th gear.

Anyone have any insight?

Yeah. Intentionally got it up to 70 in 6th gear to recreate the fault, as it only happens in 6th gear. Tried to code it last night, but there are no error codes in the system.

He's gonna take it for another test drive today

Sit on the bike with the kick stand retracted and see if you can reach with your heal to lift it. If you can than when your in 6th gear and the warning is on, try to lift it.
If you can't reach it, try unplugging the switch and ride it.

Is this your Speedo

Attachments

• H D speedo.PDF
    531.6 KB · Views: 15
It wouldn't show your pic.
70900072_OB

Like this one, with all silver finish

Well alrighty then! I will take it in cause it will take me hours to do. It's still way cheaper than taking it to HD dealer. Thanks for the advice .
Is $40 bucks worth not having a catastrophe no matter how small???????
Then the answer to your question, "So basically does anyone think it is worth my grief of taking off myself to save 40 dollars" NO and NO!!!!!;)

Lots of people remove their wheels and change tires without "catastrophe". If you have the tools and will power, then I say go for it. Its worth the $40 to me. Don't let the naysayer sway you.
Who is the naysayer?.....could it be "the nitpicker"?:eek: Seriously though 40 bucks isn't that much, I've already saved thousands on labor costs on every thing else I've done..;)

I spoke to a few different mechanics and learned that the issue is in fact a "SIDE STAnd" alert.

Apparently alot of police departments disconnect the kickstand sensor so the bike can be fired up in a hurry. And the notification is in the system to remind those who have used a clutch action to bypass the kickstand being down on startup, to remind them to put it up at highway speeds.

When the sensor is disconnected it throws that fault constantly in 6th gear. To avoid this, you can do two things, reinstall the sensor, or command the computer to not look for the sensor. (Which is what was originally done on my bike)

Each time you run a code diagnostic and reset codes, you have to command it to not look for the sensor again, or it will start throwing the indicator again.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1467136382026.jpg
    FB_IMG_1467136382026.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Back