free website stats program Michelin Commander II | Harley Davidson Forums

Michelin Commander II

coopernicus

Contributor
I ordered a new commander II rear tire. Size 150/16 for 145 bucks. Read a lot of good reviews and found a local shop will mount, balance for 15 dollars if I bring the wheel in. They only charge 55 dollars if you bring the bike in. So basically does anyone think it is worth my grief of taking off myself to save 40 dollars?

id think i would let them do it 40.00 hope you like your new michelin i put a set on mine last yr and love them
no more feeling groves and road snakes is what i love about them

Depends on you ability and available tools. A motorcycle jack, large sockets or wrenches, breaker bar or impact wrench, possible the removal of muffler on one side, some wrestling around on the floor and you can save $40...Its not all that bad once you have done it a couple times. First time may involve some foul language......

I have 7,000 miles and they are 1/2 worn.
3/32" front, 6/32 rear left.

(New was 6/32" front and 9/32" rear.)
Ride nice but I will be replacing them soon.

Is $40 bucks worth not having a catastrophe no matter how small???????
Then the answer to your question, "So basically does anyone think it is worth my grief of taking off myself to save 40 dollars" NO and NO!!!!!;)

I have the tools previous experience and a hatred of paying someone else to do something I can do myself, my local motorcycle place thinks I am unusual in that I change my own tyres but then I do all my own bike maintenance
I am pretty sure I can walk into bike shed get back wheel off dismount tyre fit new tyre balance wheel repack the bearings in grease and have the wheel and muffler back on the bike in under an hour
It would take longer to get to motorcycle shop and home again without the tyre change I might just get motorcycle shop to change tyre one time as mechanic does not like Harleys and I could watch him squirm as he does the work :)

Brian

Lots of people remove their wheels and change tires without "catastrophe". If you have the tools and will power, then I say go for it. Its worth the $40 to me. Don't let the naysayer sway you.

Back