free website stats program Should you pay more than book value for a Harley? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Should you pay more than book value for a Harley?

As far as doing the deal they say "Cash is king." doesn't apply anymore because the salesman makes more financing? What are your thoughts on that?

When you finance through the dealership the dealer get's a kick back, weather the sales person benefits from that I don't know.

My FXDC was a great bike,put 30k on it in 2 years,zero problems.They cost a thousand more than FXD when new, and you got a ton of chrome,tank mounted speedo,lot's of other extras for the $.The FXD was too much like the sporty I traded it in on.Like the speedo was on the bars.Cash won't make yer salesman more money,but a finance mgr. who can add points to yer loan can make money that way.Make sure you know what rate you qualify for.Folks don't realize that when you get a loan from a bank,the bank pays the dealer up front,and trusts you to make the payments.So the dealer gets the money right away,just like cash,they aren't waiting on the money.My dealer has 1.9 financing till the end of the month now,you can't beat that.But of course,you need great credit to qualify.I would never pay cash when you can get 1.9,because my money makes me more than 1.9 where it's invested,so why deplete yourself of that much cash,keep it working for you.Are they still tryin to steal the trade?

They are low balling me about $500 for my trade in. And this is the worst time of the year to buy a bike here.

When a salesman does a finance sale, does he get his commission right away, or does he have to wait until the end of the month? Thank you.

The person who'll make money on finance is the finance Mgr. He or she is the one who bills you out,they also sell extended warranties.A salesman gets paid when the deal gets approved by the bank.Different dealers will have different incentives for salespeople,you can't go by a one size fits all.I worked at quite a few dealers in my 20 year career,no 2 were the same.I don't understand how you haven't seen the bike yet??? Hopefully you are being realistic on your trade,hate to see you lose a bike you want over 500.Earlier you said your bike was mint.I never saw a mint condition vehicle in all my years.Unless it was PERFECT in every way,and had almost ZERO miles.

If it's what you want, and you can't find it anywhere for a lower price, I guess you'll pay what is asked. No one likes to over-pay, but if it's an exact match to your dream ride...............;)

The person who'll make money on finance is the finance Mgr. He or she is the one who bills you out,they also sell extended warranties.A salesman gets paid when the deal gets approved by the bank.Different dealers will have different incentives for salespeople,you can't go by a one size fits all.I worked at quite a few dealers in my 20 year career,no 2 were the same.I don't understand how you haven't seen the bike yet??? Hopefully you are being realistic on your trade,hate to see you lose a bike you want over 500.Earlier you said your bike was mint.I never saw a mint condition vehicle in all my years.Unless it was PERFECT in every way,and had almost ZERO miles.
You said, " Unless it was PERFECT in every way, and had almost ZERO miles," to describe mint condition. I suppose you're right that my bike isn't mint because I have 2,251 miles, and it's not perfect because of that. I thought it went: new, showroom, mint, excellent, good, fair...

I assumed mint is the highest call.The way we described them was Xtra clean,clean,average,and rough.90% of vehicles are Average.I've actually had people wash their vehicle and think it was clean.Even if it had 100k miles on it.These days I usually go by Blue Book,they are pretty accurate.I use them for my trades,I have traded six times since 2007.Kelly blue book has always been within a couple hundred bucks of what I got.They will show trade and retail.Your going to get trade value.You won't get a single dollar for anything you've added to the bike.

You can check on edmunds.com for value.
To me this site shows lower value than KKB, meaning better for the buyer
But my feeling of the right answer is no I wouldn't pay more than what the bike is worth.
How long has the dealer had the bike?
I suppose you can play the not that interested anymore game and see what they do.
I would defnetly be calling other dealer on the same bike.
And if you find one ask for a purchase order from them as if your bank wants it, than with it in hand go to the dealer that has the bike your talking about to see if they want to haggel on price.

Last edited:
You can check on edmunds.com for value.
To me this site shows lower value than KKB, meaning better for the buyer
But my feeling of the right answer is no I wouldn't pay more than what the bike is worth.
How long has the dealer had the bike?
I suppose you can play the not that interested anymore game and see what they do.
I would defnetly be calling other dealer on the same bike.
And if you find one ask for a purchase order from them as if your bank wants it, than with it in hand go to the dealer that has the bike your talking about to see if they want to haggel on price.[/QUOTE
The bike has been there 3-4 weeks.

OP, stop the mental masturbation over the price and whether you are getting a good deal or not. If you want the bike and have the funds, buy it; fish or cut bait.;)

Dolt is right.
Sit on the fence long enough and 2 things happen.
You get the bike or someone else does.
Your the one that needs to decied if the bike is worth the price. We not only haven't seen it and most of us (me) don't want it.
Not meaning to be negative just being honest from my side of the fence.

Back