free website stats program Shifter return spring | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter return spring

DC Chad

hi everyone

it would seem that i have a broken shifter return spring on my 1990 electraglide sport , after spending some time searching for an FAQ on the subject ive decided to pick your collective minds.

will this require a complete gearbox removal to change the springs or is it something i can do with the box in situ.

im fully aware i will need to remove the primary drive case etc , but im hoping not to have to strip the gearbox out .

many thanks in advance :)

Chad

It is a 2 dollar spring, tho you will need to pull the gear set out. This can be done with the case in the bike but it is a big job

Hi Jack
thanks for the reply , your right its is a big job but at least i dont have remove the case:D im just in the process of girding my loins for the stripdown now . and getting hold of the springs etc.

You can see the springs(2) by taking just the top off. Just to verify your problem. A friend thought he had the same problem but after removing the top I saw it the problem to on the detent end of the of the shifter pawl. It was replaceable by just lifting the shifter pawl out of the top, 4 bolts holding it in place.
tourbox

HD91FLHT012.gif

With the cover off you should be able to see # 55 and 59
There may be broken pieces in the bottom of the case a common problem with the 5 speeds

When doing the repair/replacement, file the sharp edge off of the stamped steel piece that the spring hooks to. That sharp edge is what caused many spring failures.

Nice advice from tourbox in post #4.

If you don't have a manual, now is the time to get one :D

I would also replace every bearing and seal possible if you need to go so far as pulling the gear set. They are cheap compared to the tools you need & time spent working. JMO

you guys are fantastic :D

im told by the venerable Warrs HarleyDavidson of London that the smaller of the two springs are unavailable and if it is that one gone then im looking at a Pawl Anti overshift kit though at this point im struggling to locate one of those over here .. so ive ordered the larger one plus a new output shaft seal and gaskets etc , ive now removed the primary drive etc so im now at the Gearbox :panic:D

tomorrow evening i shall start on that , my parts should be with me on thursday so if all goes well and i dont find any horrors then i might just make a planned ride out this weekend :D:D:D

ill let you know how i get on tomorrow evening

once again thanks for your help :cheers

Try and track down someone who makes springs. I'm sure like bearings if you have the size its a doable replacement item from a jobber.

Back