free website stats program Shifter Linkage! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter Linkage!

It was the ball and socket that failed ,not the heim joint:s

Yeah, I was talking about my failing to tighten locknuts on my linkage not about TQ's ball and socket failure. Never cared for ball and socket type linkages, similar things were done on carb linkages and they were not so good either. I am just grumpy in my old age! :bigsmiley28:

:D This just happened to my husband last week. We were on vacation, and after towing the bikes to Jacksonville for a couple of days, and then towing them on down to the Keys, we were off to ride across the 7 mile bridge. He looked over and actually offered me the opportunity to ride his bike! I for whatever reason, I declined, :newsmile070: I just wanted to ride my bike across the bridge for my first ride. :) (I'm pretty sure we would have traded too)

About 5 miles into the ride, he started fiddling with something, I figured he dropped his hat. Since there was no where to stop to check it out for a few miles, we pulled into a parking lot at Big Pine, & when I said 'what did you lose', he replied 'my shifter'. I cannot describe how relieved I was that I didn't swap rides that time. :bigsmiley24: I'm sure if I would have been riding his bike & had that happen, I would still be hearing about it! Unfortunately, later at lunch he had said something about me riding his bike & I said something about parts falling off and after that he never offered again. :no

LOL, he claims that he can't let me ride his bikes because every time I do, he has to get another bike & he has this one the way he likes it. :bigsmiley24:
For the record, there might be a pattern there.

We did re-tighten a few things on the bikes in Jville, but I never thought to check the shifters. Trailering the bikes seems to work every thing loose.

Fortunately we both had tool kits & he didn't lose any parts. Had some great rides for the week.

We are going to get the heim joint for the future as per Glider's recommendation. :s

I do have his interest in the 6 speeds. :s I'm going to fool around & he will get a new bike & I will take his. :33:

Back