free website stats program Shifter Linkage! | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter Linkage!

TQuentin1

Staff member
It happed again! Second time since '05. Cheap junk!!

The ball and socket end of the shifter linkage came apart at the tranny end. Luckily, this happened as I was leaving the neighborhood. Stopped, switched hands on the clutch, leaned down and shifted into first and slowly rode home. Talk about suicide shift!!

Went to the HD Dealership to get another end. Don't sell just the ends! OK, then how about the stock shifter linkage. They are out of the shifter linkage assy for the Touring bikes.

"OK, how about a shifter rod assy for any model?"

"Might not fit your bike. If you buy one and it doesn't fit, you can not return it."

"That's OK, I just want the END off it."

"We have one for a Softail."

"I'll take it."

"That will be $21.64, and like I said, it is not returnable."

Talk about customer service!!

I think I am gonna swap out the ball and socket end for another swivel end like on the front. Well the bike is back to operating anyway!!

TQ

Attachments

• P6050273.jpg
    P6050273.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 83
  • P6050268.jpg
    P6050268.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 81
  • P6050272.jpg
    P6050272.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 83
  • P6050271.jpg
    P6050271.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 85
  • P6050270.jpg
    P6050270.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 76
Only way to go TQ is the heim ends. Some are heavy footed when it comes to shifting.

Shift Arm Linkage - Harley Davidson Community

Yep. Got one on the front of the linkage, but when I bought this kit (J&P), it came with the ball & socket on the shaft. Will get another Heim end and replace the new ball & socket end.

Like Smitty said above, it is strange how some stuff happens to some and not all. I never used my heel shifter peg, and so removed it a few years ago. Don't think I am rough on the toe shifter. Weird.

TQ

21.64 ????

wow, that piece costs 100 euros in Europe, thats 125-130 USD.
wanted to replace mine just cause it was corroded, had to go for the
cheap 75 euro cover instead.

Yep. Got one on the front of the linkage, but when I bought this kit (J&P), it came with the ball & socket on the shaft. Will get another Heim end and replace the new ball & socket end.

Like Smitty said above, it is strange how some stuff happens to some and not all. I never used my heel shifter peg, and so removed it a few years ago. Don't think I am rough on the toe shifter. Weird.

TQ

Check the threads on the other end, some are right and left on the same rod so you can extend it without removing the ends by turning the rod.

You can find this hardware in stainless on the McMaster Carr website. The rod ends are called spherical rod ends. About 6-7 bucks each.

McMaster Carr ships at light speed...

TQ - don't beat yourself up, you probably have had that linkage on and off at least a dozen times, just takes one time not torquing the lock nuts enough.

Funny, about 3 weeks ago I notice my shifter lever was rattling, sure enough, same thing, loose lock nuts on my Heim joint linkage AND I needed to tension the lever by loosing locking allen screw and tightening the threaded collar an 1/8 of a turn. No more rattling and no "sloppy" linkage movement. :s

I have to say, that it is likely that I did not tighten it enough when I had it apart the last time when replacing my starter clutch...so much for the heat of "battle" during the late night change out. Now get a nice chrome linkage...ya know you really wanted one with Willie G. or HD logo on it for...you guessed it "-more than hunerd dallah...?" :newsmile030:

And what is this...welcome back Richard...where have ya been? :D

Last edited:
TQ - don't beat yourself up, you probably have had that linkage on and off at least a dozen times, just takes one time not torquing the lock nuts enough.

Funny, about 3 weeks ago I notice my shifter lever was rattling, sure enough, same thing, loose lock nuts on the Heim joint linkage AND I needed to tension the lever by loosing locking allen screw and tightening the threaded collar an 1/8 of a turn. No more rattling and no "sloppy" linkage movement. :s

I have to say, that it is likely that I did not tighten it enough when I had it apart the last time when replacing my starter clutch...so much for the heat of "battle" during the late night change out. Now get a nice chrome linkage...ya know you really wanted one with Willie G. or HD logo on it for...you guessed it "-more than hunerd dallah...?" :newsmile030:

It was the ball and socket that failed ,not the heim joint:s

Richard, I have about 75K on the bike and maybe 25K or so on the second ball & socket end that just let go. I don't think I am especially hard on the shifter. With the 6-spd and Spectro 6-spd in it, the thing shifts so easily, I don't have to stomp on it. No idea.

TQ

Back