free website stats program Shift Shaft? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Shaft?

I would rather have the softer metal as the "sacrificial" part of the shifter mechanism rather than having to replace the shift shaft itself in the trans.

I feel the replacement lever by Conrad is the way to go in lieu of pulling the primary, clutch, inner primary etc to replace the original lever with another factory lever. Once opened up, it leaves a lot of areas for problems with leakage etc as opposed to using a die grinder or dremel to remove the stripped lever to replace it with the stainless lever from Conrad.

JMHO

One key thing here is besides the idea of stronger stainless part, the other deal is the finding of root cause that is doing the damage. Proper lube and linkage adjustment as well as "normal" shifting practice can reduce shifting problems. Even something simple like holding in the clutch lever before starting and rolling the bike back (about 3 seconds) can make that first shift in the morning to be less of a "bang".

Last edited:
NHD brings up a good point here.

In all the years around Harleys, I have seen some guys STOMP on the shifter arm to shift the trans. This is the fastest way to strip out the shifter arm. It's just a weak point in the system but checking the bolt tension from time to time for tightness and improved shifting techniques will eliminate any reason for changing this shift arm.

A simple "click" of the lever is all that is needed to shift the gears, not a big footed stomp! :bigsmiley20:

Your bike will thank you for it as the miles add up!

One key thing here is besides the idea of stronger stainless part, the other deal is the finding of root cause that is doing the damage. Proper lube and linkage adjustment as well as "normal" shifting practice can reduce shifting problems. Even something simple like holding in the clutch lever before starting and rolling the bike back (about 3 seconds) can make that first shift in the morning to be less of a "bang".

I roll down the drive way clutch pulled in clicl it into gear some times I dont even hear it works for me Good tip NHD:s

I keep seeing Glider recommending the better lever,but have yet to here of anyone talk of any time or cost benefit to using one .Have i missed the happy better lever owners posts'.I'm very curious

I have an issue with the front shifter arm stripped Fri night. The pinch bolt is tight. Not a problem to remove front arm. I took the arm off and ran a cutting wheel through the pinch slot on the arm and then put some red loctite on the splines and reassembled. I maybe should have ran a die up the threads of the pinch bolt so it could clamp tighter. I will get a new one from the dealer someday maybe
kemo

Back