free website stats program Shift Shaft? | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Shaft?

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
I am removing my primary on my 03 RK on Sunday to replace my tranny shift lever. If the shaft that the lever attaches too is stripped, does it come out from the top inspection cover? Do you have to remove main and counter shafts first and then remove it? The manual is not perfectly clear on how this comes apart. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Bodeen

If I remember right, there is no way to get the shifter pawl assembly out without pulling the lid & guts, usually the arm is the only thing needs replacing, the spline is pretty tough that's on the shaft.....Hopefully the shaft will do it.

Thank you both. I have been told that if the shifter lever has been loose for awhile to expect the shaft to be bad. Money makers were telling me this of course.
Glider: I have seen Conrad's product in the AIM mag. I also saw that you posted he is giving us a discount. I will probably try that if I have a shaft isssue before I go into the tranny. Being that the stock shifter lever is ~$20. I coudnt see spending the $150 if not necessary. I'll post back how it goes.

Thx,

Bodeen

Bodeen, to remove the shift shaft, you must remove the gearset.

The hard part is removing the inner race that is pressed onto the mainshaft, and also removing the nut that secures the pulley.

If you have access to the tools to remove these parts, the removal of the gearset is easy.

Look for evidence of leaking seals while you are in there, shift shaft seal, starter jackshaft seal and the mainshaft bearing seals on the inner primary cover.

There are also seals behind the pulley, which you can`t see with the pulley installed, but you can still tell if there is any leakage.

The shift lever replacement went well for the most part, at least all the way up to breaking the jack shaft bolt! Sunday of course, nobody open and my dealer doesn't open until Tuesday.........The good news is that the shift shaft is fine as you guys suggested. The new shift lever tightened right up. All and all a fairly easy job with no surprises. Learned a lot and would not be afraid to tear into it again if needed.

POOF! Too bad he was civil on this thread. Some people don't just don't get it. Specially the power of the POOF Button! You the man Glider:s

Has anyone bought one of the expensive ones from Conrad and better levers? Do we still get a 10% discount? My 02 glide with 45K now has a stripped trans lever.

Unless you are completely against using hand tools or dont own any. I would pull the primary. It isn't diificult and it will be much cheaper IMO and I'm guessing faster. If the input shaft into the tranny were worn or stripped, I would use the Better Lever to alleviate having to go into the tranny right away. Having said that, it would be a stop gap measure because sooner or later you would have to replace that too.
Good luck.

Bodeen

Unless you are completely against using hand tools or dont own any. I would pull the primary. It isn't diificult and it will be much cheaper IMO and I'm guessing faster. Bodeen

that is my thought exactly .
Motor

I would rather have the softer metal as the "sacrificial" part of the shifter mechanism rather than having to replace the shift shaft itself in the trans.

I feel the replacement lever by Conrad is the way to go in lieu of pulling the primary, clutch, inner primary etc to replace the original lever with another factory lever. Once opened up, it leaves a lot of areas for problems with leakage etc as opposed to using a die grinder or dremel to remove the stripped lever to replace it with the stainless lever from Conrad.

JMHO

Back