free website stats program Service - If I can anyone can...! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Service - If I can anyone can...!

This is great to hear as I am planning on attempting an oil change on my own in the near future. I have read the instructions that are in the book that come with the bike and am pretty sure I can handle it. If I run into troubles, I have HDTimeline to reference and my husband (a mechanic) if needed. ;) The cost of getting the oil changed at the dealer the first time was astronomical and I didn't have to pay the labor as it was my first oil change. This next one, I have to pay the labor so I am going to try it myself.

With the HD service manual and HD talking I feel i can tackle most jobs.

Cost is a big factor,my dealer wants $99 plus taxes for just a harley oil change.

I would rather spend money on better oils and save the labour.

The best part is you have fun and learn about your bike at the same time!!

I'm right in there with those almost on the edge of being totally inept! :p
But at 160 miles changed the oil and filter myself! Took a while before I got the filter off... but it did finally budge. And yes, it does get a little messy when the filter comes off. I think I did an OK job of keeping it to a minimum and cleaning up. My Nightster didn't seem to mind the fresh oil, and it seems everything went alright. I bought two black HD filters so I'm all set for the next time!

I'm right in there with those almost on the edge of being totally inept! :p
But at 160 miles changed the oil and filter myself! Took a while before I got the filter off... but it did finally budge. And yes, it does get a little messy when the filter comes off. I think I did an OK job of keeping it to a minimum and cleaning up. My Nightster didn't seem to mind the fresh oil, and it seems everything went alright. I bought two black HD filters so I'm all set for the next time!

Look in the self help section , there is a funnel you can make out of a plastic bottle to drain the filter with no mess:s

Back