free website stats program SERT or just a download? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SERT or just a download?

Ok Hobbit/Glider let me ask you this, not that money is no object because it most certinly is. BUT if it were no object what would YOU do, dyno or TFI?

Let me add to this too. Are you gonna race your UC? If not, do you need a Race Tuner?

If you get the Dealership to download the new map (based on what you have up-graded) and then Dyno the bike, it will be set to the requirements that the Dealership must meet from a regulatory standpoint. If you then decide sometime in the future that you like the "mondo big breather" better, or the "huge monster" slip-ons or some other exhaust option, you have to go back in for more Dealership mapping/dyno work. If on the other hand you decide to go with the TFI and set your bike up so that the engine is running well with no popping, stuttering, or hesitating, and then you change something, YOU will be able to fiddle with the TFI to accommodate your new stuff and get the bike back to running the way YOU want it to.

What do you think?

TQ

:newsmile076:three option you have here: 1. you can just get the download and keep the stock air box, this will fatten up the fuel the make upi for the pipes while not increasing the air ( downside to this is no increase of power/ more air flow through a motor = more power) 2. do the air box and the download, this will give just as lean of a bike as you had when you bought it but a smidge more pep,( downside is more popping o de-accel) 3. get the air box and do the sert , this is ( if its done right ) a custom written , fully changable map, (downside you need a dyno to change the map other wise your throwing darts in a dark room) .... my modo is simple , you get what you pay for , and there are no free lunches , if there was a cheap , good, method of tuning everybody would have it.

Thanks for all the input guys. Believe me when I tell you I have no interest in racing my ultra, I probably baby it as it is. All I am looking for is a cooler runing engine with a little more power. The problem is, which is my problem, is that I am ignorant as to how all this stage I stuff works. I am going by what my dealer is telling me. Now, since I don't take anything that someone tells me as gospel, I did some checking around with other dealers. A total of five now and I have gotten five different answers. My dealer is telling me I need a SERT w/Dyno (the most expensive of all my options), another is saying a SERT no dyno required (you tell me is that even possible?), one said just a download, another said power commander, another said Fuel Pak. I am not trying to be cheap about it, cause I believe you get what you pay for, but by the same token I don't want to throw money needlessly out the window. Since I am not a DIY type of guy (lack of abillity, not lazyness) I am left to the whims of the professionals. Clearly the professionals picked up on the lack of knowledge and it seems they have both hands in my pockets. Therfore I turn to you guys here on this forum for help. I was leaning toward the SERT ONLY cause I thought that it would'nt void my warranty, but someone here already said that it too would void it. So I guess now it a choice between the PCIII or the V&H Fuel Pak, since none of the dealers I spoke with use the TFI. As I have already mentioned me trying to put a TFI in myself will do alot more harm than good. Once again thanks for the info.

Go with the Fuel Pak. It will be set to match your after market pipes and airbox.

If you ever change either of those you can change the settings on your Fuel Pak.

Save yourself money and eliminate the fingerprint on your ECM. Go with the TFI. I did and I am glad I did. As far as I know, it is the only fuel management that leaves no fingerprint and gives HD no reason to hassle you about waranty. It plainly states and ECM modification voids waranty. They have not as of yet enforced this, but with tough economic times they sure could. I just can't see why not to go with the TFI. Lots of happy users, good performance and less expensive. EZ choice for me. Good luck.

Save yourself money and eliminate the fingerprint on your ECM. Go with the TFI. I did and I am glad I did. As far as I know, it is the only fuel management that leaves no fingerprint and gives HD no reason to hassle you about waranty. It plainly states and ECM modification voids waranty. They have not as of yet enforced this, but with tough economic times they sure could. I just can't see why not to go with the TFI. Lots of happy users, good performance and less expensive. EZ choice for me. Good luck.

as far as I know the SERT is the only thing that does leave a fingerprint. Course I don't know everything...............Yet:D

FuelPak, Cobra FI2000 and TFI all impart information to the fuel injectors after the ECM. Therefore no mapping of the ECM ever takes place.

I took my XL883C in and my dealer did the new Pro Sert with the SE intake and SE slip ons. The engine performance is alot different. The bike has a completely different freer feel to it.

The problem is, which is my problem, is that I am ignorant as to how all this stage I stuff works. I am going by what my dealer is telling me....Since I am not a DIY type of guy (lack of abillity, not lazyness) I am left to the whims of the professionals....As I have already mentioned me trying to put a TFI in myself will do alot more harm than good. Once again thanks for the info.

Naaaah! We are not talking about splitting the case and working on the guts of the beast! What Stage 1 is all about is letting the beast breath better. The high flow breather and a different set of pipes (actually slip-ons - the pipes stay where they are) allows MORE air to go into the engine, and more exhaust to come out. The idea is reducing the restriction and as I said above, letting the beast breath easier.

Swapping out the slip on cans ("mufflers") is a matter of taking off a couple of bolts on top and at the back of the cans that support them to the box frames. Then loosen a clamp at the front of each can and yank them off. New ones go on in the reverse order.

The high flow breather kits (Screamin Eagle or other) all replace the existing set up, but just require some simple basic tools to do. All of them come with simple instructions. Plus, with your HD Factory Service manual (send Gary12850 a pm to request yours) you can easily tackle this.

The last thing in Stage 1 is figuring out how to give the beast some more gas, because she is breathing more air and therefore needs more gas to go with the air. This is where the whole map download or fuel manager comes into play. All the options on this have pros and cons. Some have a lot more cons. For your purposes, the TFI seems to fit easiest. No dyno, something that you definitely can do yourself, and something that can be adjusted at anytime you like based on how the bike is behaving. Once you have found the settings that you like based on the way it is running, you do NOT need to fiddle with it. Forget about it! But if some day in the future you change something, YOU can adjust the TFI to get back to the way you like the bike to run.

This stuff above is easy! No need to fear it, in fact you will probably find it fun. Send Joyflyin a pm and ask her for her perspective.

Anyway, what ever you choose to do, read up on your options in the self-help sections. Our guru Glider has put a wealth of information out there that will give you much more value than someone trying to sell you what they have available!!

Cheers, and let us know what you do.

TQ

Back