free website stats program Serious, Safe Riding Tips (from experience) | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Serious, Safe Riding Tips (from experience)

Besides a prayer and common sense, what ridin' tips will you share as we approach this '09 season? As a ret. LEO, I know from the tragic experiences of others to "expect the unexpected" like: bales of hay in roadway over crest of hill; joggers running in front; deer jumping across road from wooded area; failure to Yield idots, etc. What others can you share?:small3d036:

As an active FF I have seen a lot of bike wrecks and the most common denominator is excess speed. This does usually happen to sport bikers the most. I think the main thing is to drive defensive all the time.

Remember that all of us who have the misfortune of having to take the winters off from riding are now getting back on the roads. Watch out for the cagers they have not seen us in a while and may forger we exist.

Always assume that someone is going to do something incredibly stupid in your immediate vicinity. :newsmile055:

I may be paranoid, but I'm still alive.:newsmile053:

:42: Well, it just happened. Yesterday while scootin' at about 55-60 mph with no on-coming traffic, a gravel shoulder on both sides, a dog (medium size) runs right out in front of me. I believe I accelerated ever-so-slightly, held firm to the handlebars (not much time to do otherwise!) and hoped to "ride thru it", onto the other side (of safety). No braking, no avoiding the hazard. :small3d011: As I sit here now, after a nights rest, I think that THINKING about control and being a survivor, helped. I know I'll be eeking out every bit of "lesson" (and sharing them) from this incident for some time to come. My little bell hanging under my left foot board was the only other 'casualty', as it was pinched together tightly. RIP little pet, I wish we hadn't met up as we did. ((i did stop and talk to the owner)) :42:

Ride with the idea in the back of your mind that every cager you see is TRYING trying to run over you and kill you.............

Moreso now, b/c the riding season is just starting, but ppl in cages arent as used to seeing us out yet, so be on the defensive.

Watch out for anyone talking on their cellphones. IMO, one of the most dangerous situations we have to deal with.

Throttle can get you into trouble and it can get you out of trouble. For some reason (I'll let someone who can explain it in a manner that makes sense) in a turn if you start to feel like you are drifting out of the turn a little too much all you gotta do is give it a little throttle and the bike for some reason pulls itself back into the turn. I don't know why but it works. Of course if you are simply going too fast it ain't gonna work!

yeah, people turning left in front of you. My husband has over 1 million in medical bills due to this. The girl had 25k on bi. My suggestion make sure you have the highest underinsured motorist coverage to cover you financial for other drivers that make poor decisions.

Back