free website stats program Serious, Safe Riding Tips (from experience) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Serious, Safe Riding Tips (from experience)

Great tips. I'm new to a big bike so I'm really careful so far. As I get better at it, 1500 miles so far, I'm starting to drive like I do in my cage. Thinking that everyone out there is trying to mess with me. The wife thinks I'm nuts, 34 years next week and she's probably right but she can't drive on the freeway, I can hahahahahaha. I keep thinking I better just back off and let the jerks go by and not give them a second thought. Not much protection on the bike although I do wear all the protection they taught us to wear in the MSF class. I really like riding in a group whenever I can, guys at work, the local HOG club, etc. That way you feel a little safer (in a group) and can learn from the other riders. A good rule of thumb is even in a group, don't ride beyond your capability. So, I always let the group I'm riding with know I'm kinda new and I ride with the slower guys. I'll probably never be able to ride in Glider's group. My bike is way faster than I need at this point.

Take it easy the first ride of the spring. Remember the how much that bike weights. Easy does it the first few turns and miles. Also remember your a YEAR OLDER.

Don't be your own worst enemy by riding in an unsafe manner. Ride responsibly, so you can watch others on the road to keep yourself safe.

the only sports bike i fit comfortably and the wife will not let me near one:D

A Hayabusa with your height...? (I'm just a little taller and it felt fine too...LOL)...Smitty is right --"rider can justify and ride what ever he wants." ...thank our lucky stars the gals keep our male hormones in check and from launching our tails into the stratosphere! :D

thank our lucky stars the gals keep our male hormones in check and from launching our tails into the stratosphere! :D

Kind of takes the fun out of it sometimes!:worthy,but then there are the other times!:bigsmiley27:

Seems as though "crotch rockets" equal crashes in most states. Geeze, i wonder why? Awesome bikes, but it seems 'slower' roads and such bikes(or their drivers) don't mix well. Sad for sure.

Don't let the (mis)behaviour of other road users wind you up into doing things you shouldn't, keep cool and in control.

:42: Who doesn't love "late winter" or "early spring"? Who? Michiganders, that's who! Pot holes, salt on the road, slippery white lane pavement markings, gravel or sand in intersections, and drivers trying to either text or call their grandma. Grrrrrrr:small3d012: Anyway .. time to be careful y'all. NO CRASHES THIS RIDING SEASON! :small3d028: :42:

It is easy to get mad at others. Mostly they don't see us or if they do, they think of us as less of a hazard to their cage than they would, say a semi truck.
I am guilty of some radical actions, as it is easy to get mad. However, I have learned over the years, that it is just a lot easier in the long run to laugh at how stupid and silly some people are.
I guess my tip would be to just keep emotions in check and enjoy the ride away from the ones that would do you harm. Let them have the road, it isn't worth it.

One item I'm usually aware of since I do a great deal of night riding. When following a semi truck, always follow in the trucks track and keep some distance. Reason is they can straddle road debris where you can't. I also will follow a car at night and use their headlights and if they swerve, you had better be prepared to do the same. One more item, take a whiff; if you smell rubber, there is a probability that a rubber gator is ready to bite ya. Those are not fun at all. Also, if you're beside a blow out on a semi, it will move you, bike and all.
Ugly John

Back