free website stats program seeing orange | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

seeing orange

Just an observation. Take it for what it's worth.
From first hand observation, over a period of years, and all I have seen, read, etc. Make me believe that a lot of the premature wear problems can be tied directly to the riding style and habits of the owner/rider.
I have noted that the tensioner shoes seem to wear much faster when the rider is a throttle blipper....ie....someone who sits and constantly revs the engine while sitting at an idle, or someone who is constantly on and off the throttle.
My reasoning is this...the old style spring loaded shoe cannot keep a constant tension on the chain, and as the throttle is "blipped, the shoe is forced away , then bounces back, not maintaining a constant tension on the system. This break in contact and uneven tension is the cause of the wear.
The hydraulic system maintains the contact no matter what is done with the throttle and thus, eleminates the excessive wear.
...Just a thought....

Smitty is right...on the old spring tensioners it is not will I have to change them but when...The consensus on this matter is to at least take a visual look...We have all been riding HDs long enough to know no two bikes are the same I don't care what year they are!

Cam chain tensioners are covered under warrenty. Mine was done at 65,000 kms by Mackies Harley in Oshawa, Ontario for the $50.00 deductable.

Orange flakes mean that there is a problem. Pull the cover off and look at the outer, the inner in almost impossible to see, but you can see some of it with light and a small mirror.

Gotta open up the nose cone and look. At both. Otherwise, you are just flying blind.

TQ

Thanks everybody for your input. That’s why I love this site. Lots of combined experience and viewpoints
I know opening her up and taking a peek is the only way to be sure of what I’ve got going on. I just know me and it will be really hard to resist “tinkering”while I’m in there. Sure the wife can reign me in though.:lol
Bought this bike used a little less than 2 years ago with hardly any miles . Dealer did the 5k service and put in HD dino oil. Thanks to this forum I now do my own servicing and recently switched to Mobil 1 Vtwin 20/50. (changed trans to M1 75/140 about 3K ago). Only performance mod is Stage 1 (SE slip-on, SE hiflow AC, TFI)
Joe Scout: interesting yours were covered under warranty. I’ll have to check in to that a little more. Thanks
Gs34: Not a random throttle blipper but I do have a tendency to “blip” on downshift. Something to think about.
Smitty: I’m thinking you’ve got the right idea. If they need replacing might as well go to the Hyd tensioners and worry no more.
Then again, Torrington bearings and a roller chain…..aaagggghhhh……It’s an addiction!:wall

also hard accell are know to wear them faster.. i admit im one of the how fast can i hit the speed limit guys .. how about a pic of the pieces..

your ride but i wouldnt do any riding till i take it apart and look

Yeah, I'm done until I see what's goning on. Can always jump on the misses ride if I get the urge (and the weather gets better).
I'll let everyone know what I find when I get in there. Hopefully not pieces. lol

Your ride but IMO. You got your wake up call
Upgrade it to the Hyd tensioners and be done with the issue forever

+1 I cut mine open at 10000 and 25000 on my 06 deluxe. If I found any flakes in my filter it would be torn down that day. It is too costly :newsmile093:to take a chance:newsmile055:

am not a mechanic.. or at least not more than a very amature one. but bought my 05 rk with about 18 thousand miles on it. dont think anything had ever been changed. finally got the wear notes from the engine at around 70 thousand miles... tensioners totally distroyed but was lucky in that nothing else looked damaged... still had the dealer put in the hd oilpump replace ment kit for new oil pump,tensioners and lifters... wont make that mistake again. check em every 10 k now.

Back