free website stats program seeing orange | Harley Davidson Forums

seeing orange

Duffer

After changing my oil a couple of weeks ago I opened up the filter and there “they” were, the dreaded orange flakes. Not a lot but enough to get my attention. I know there has been numerous threads on procedure and options but, my question is how much of this flaking is an acceptable sign of wear and tear or is any of this stuff getting to the filter mean it’s time to crack her open. I know if I open her up I’ll end up doing the whole 9 and I would rather spend my Harley Dollars on the wife’s Dyna this winter. We’re talking an 05 RKC with only 7800 miles on the clock, M1 V twin 20/50. Well maintained
I have an extended warranty but it doesn’t appear cam chain tensioners are a covered part. Probably considered a wear item so I’m guessing this one is on me.
I’ve learned a lot from those in the know on this forum but still have a lot to learn and as they say “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing”, which, makes me a walking disaster. Lol
So, do all of you find “orange” all the time, some of you some of the time, all of you some of the time etc. or should I start making excuses to Mama why she isn’t getting her Stage 1 and bling. ( any volunteers for that job will be appreciated and next of kin notified!)

Short term solution would be 1st choice...get those tensioner parts changed out pronto and flush the oiling system completely before it gets clogged with the "orange debris" and risk engine destruction. Inexpensive to replace if you catch it early AND still satisfy your gals' ride as well. You can always do the full job like TQ did further down the road. Gotta keep your ride happy and we all know "--if your gal is not happy...!!!:30:

I would open her up and give her a good inspection and most like just put in a new set of tensioners for now and spend the money on the wifes bike and later on do the roller chain convertion.
kemo

Why would or how could tensioners wear out in 8K miles. A Well maintained(probably not modified ?) engine.

Hoop, the early twinkys were prone to due to the design of the tensioners. Since they have gone to the hydraulic tensioners in the 96"ers, this no longer seems to be a problem.

With out actually opening up the cam chest and taking a look I would not get to excited over few flakes in the oil filter on a engine with 8k on it...they have to be visually checked...I have found a few flakes on occasion on my '04 RK and have visually checked them since I crossed 18k...she has 29k now and the tensioners are only about 1/3 gone as per MoCo spec's

With out actually opening up the cam chest and taking a look I would not get to excited over few flakes in the oil filter on a engine with 8k on it...they have to be visually checked...I have found a few flakes on occasion on my '04 RK and have visually checked them since I crossed 18k...she has 29k now and the tensioners are only about 1/3 gone as per MoCo spec's

If I may ask, what Brand/weight crankcase oil do you use.

I'm with rkrdr2 - doesn't seem like they're wearing to destruction/damage levels so I'd hold off a bit (maybe go to 10K service & "visually" inspect). Then see if you wan to do the maint...

I ran Mobil 1/Amsoil in the first 2yrs...But I have run nothing but Castrol 4t 20/50 dyno oil now for the last three years...I sure don't want to start a oil debate here...I just never have been sold on the Synthetic thing...and the 04s do not run nearly as hot as the newer engines

I.. sure don't want to start a oil debate here...s

Tks.. I understand. I don't want to start an oil debate either. But when anyone has a pre-mature problem (as the OP did with 8K miles) the first thing I want to know is what oil that person was using. I use Dino oil myself. I too am not yet sold on Syn. Did the Syn he was using buy him anything? If he used Dino, would the tensioners have worn out even sooner? Who knows.

I am not looking for an answer to this statement. It is really not a question but just a statement.

Back