free website stats program Secret to a clean windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Secret to a clean windshield

bcortani

Here is a trick I learned 15 years ago when I was a Goldwinger (nuff said). before a day trip or longer ride, take a medium sized terry cloth towel and soak it in warm water. Wring out the water but make sure the towel is still wet just not dripping. Put the wet towel in an old bread bag or gallon ziploc (I always use a bread bag). Spin twist it shut and wrap this in a dry terry towel of same or bigger size (Takes up very little space in bag). After an hour or two of riding, when you stop for lunch or what ever, take the damp towel and drape it over the bug and goo encrusted windshield. let it sit there for about 5 minutes or until after your meal break...remove wet towel, place in bag, take dry towel and gently dry off windshield-all the bug and goo will be softened and comes off very easily. This has worked great for me and my 83 Goldwing. sold her in 2010 with the original shield and it looked factory fresh. this also works well for your front fender and chrome and paint, good way to freshen up the bike before continuing. if towel gets dirty, rinse well and continue to use until home...toss in wash machine and good to go. I used to carry a spray cleaner, but this was so much easier and packs better as well. bcortani

That's a cool trick. here is what I've learn from Glider, before going on a long trip, clean the shield with Pledge, enjoy the trip, taking pics along the trip and between break, when got home, spray some Pledge on the shield, and wipe off all roadkills.

Whenever I get back from a ride that is one of the first things I do. I have a bucket I fill with hot or warm water and I use cotton diapers, one wet and one to dry with. Works great.

Thanks for sharing. In FL, I cross a bridge to go to work and during some months of the year, the bugs are terrible. I always carry a wet rag in a zip lock baggie to clean the shield/front of the bike, then hit it with Pledge. You should see my co-workers faces when I break out the Pledge :)

Ride safe and have fun!

When I don't have time or am too lazy I set my bike out overnight. The dew penitrates all the goo/ect. then hose and wipe it down.

Just had The Redhead pick me up a new can yesterday, dont want to run out:p

Back