free website stats program SE Pro Super Tuner + Smart Tune Software | Page 12 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Pro Super Tuner + Smart Tune Software

WHY?
I mean why would you consider using two tuners when one can do the job.

Just wondering. I just had the SERT installed, and to me it seems to be running to rich. So I was thinking instead of having to pay for the thing to be tuned again, I would just install the TFI and try leaning it out a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHY?
I mean why would you consider using two tuners when one can do the job.[/QUOT

Just wondering. I just had the SERT installed, and to me it seems to be running to rich. So I was thinking instead of having to pay for the thing to be tuned again, I would just install the TFI and try leaning it out a little.

The SERT is married to your bike so you will not be able to sell it. The TFI is effective as a basic tuner and if you did not have any would be cheaper to get and easier to use. The SERT is more advanced allowing more fine tuning.
Then again I should have asked which SERT you have as the street tuner is limited whereas the race tuner has more ability.

Basic TFI Will NOT remove fuel, Only add...

The Gen4 gives you all the give and take of fuels... (Maybe also the gen 3.5 ?)

I would just go to the one you had tune it and ask "Why is it Rich?

They may offer to reset it "IF" it needs Leaned out..

Ask the one who set it up in the first place, be nice......

signed....BUBBIE

The SERT is married to your bike so you will not be able to sell it. The TFI is effective as a basic tuner and if you did not have any would be cheaper to get and easier to use. The SERT is more advanced allowing more fine tuning.
Then again I should have asked which SERT you have as the street tuner is limited whereas the race tuner has more ability.

Hi 1Canuck,

It is the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. They said the street tuner will only do what like all the others will do. Just add fuel and is limited in adjustment. The Race tuner has a lot more adjustments to more or less fine tune how the engine performs. So I opted for the race tuner. I will admit though it does run better and has a little more pickup that it had before.

I know when you do the SERT you lose the stage 1 download, but also means that you can put the entire system back to stock if needed which is nice.

I had the Stage 1 download with the Screaming Eagle Air box, Stock header pipes and the Rush Big Louie slip ons. Since then I have put on the Screaming Eagle Street Cannons Slip ons. Man these pipes sound awesome. Can't believe they are HD pipes part number 64900186.

This bike is my car. I ride it everywhere in all weather. I don't race the bike, I do a lot of around town riding, and take long trips on it. She has a 114,000 miles on her, and I am just wanting to keep her going as long as I can. I am working on the next Million Mile Harley hehehehe. Yea I think I will ride it back to the dealership and see if they can tweek it just a tad bit.

Thanks

I just had the SERT installed, and to me it seems to be running to rich.

I know when you do the SERT you lose the stage 1 download, but also means that you can put the entire system back to stock if needed which is nice.

Does your 2005 have O2 sensors?
If your bike has O2 sensors, for you to be running too rich, you would have to really muscle most of the A/F cells. If it was tuned at a dealership, they must stay above the legal A/F ratio line on the dyno sheet. Whole different story if the bike has no O2 sensors or was tuned at Indy shop.

Also, not that you would ever want to, but you can't put the ECM back to factory mapping. The dongle is a write only device. You can not read the stock ECM maps & save/copy them.

Yes, you will loose your stage 1 set of maps once you start remapping with a dyno & Super Tuner, but a stage 1 is just a set of canned maps that can be put back on at will. They come as part of the Super Tuner kit that you can do yourself.
The last "tune" resides in the Dongle and can be copied to a thumb drive for safe keeping.

I had the Stage 1 download
Thanks

You had the stage 1 download which is the exact same base tune for your bike that comes with the SE software. Dealers do not have a magic different download, they have been using the same starting tune that you get with the tuner, the race tuner that is.

Also, not that you would ever want to, but you can't put the ECM back to factory mapping. The dongle is a write only device. You can not read the stock ECM maps & save/copy them.

Yes, you will loose your stage 1 set of maps once you start remapping with a dyno & Super Tuner, but a stage 1 is just a set of canned maps that can be put back on at will. They come as part of the Super Tuner kit that you can do yourself.
The last "tune" resides in the Dongle and can be copied to a thumb drive for safe keeping.
+1

Does your 2005 have O2 sensors?
If your bike has O2 sensors, for you to be running too rich, you would have to really muscle most of the A/F cells. If it was tuned at a dealership, they must stay above the legal A/F ratio line on the dyno sheet. Whole different story if the bike has no O2 sensors or was tuned at Indy shop.

Hi Hoople,

No it has no 02 sensors. I hear mixed stories about those things. Some people say they are great, and some people say they are a pain in the rear.

Yea I looked at the dyno sheet, and it looked like it was something like 3.4 all the way. Not sure what that is. I will have to scan and let you look at it. I will do that this afternoon.

Hi Hoople,

No it has no 02 sensors. I hear mixed stories about those things. Some people say they are great, and some people say they are a pain in the rear.

Yea I looked at the dyno sheet, and it looked like it was something like 3.4 all the way. Not sure what that is. I will have to scan and let you look at it. I will do that this afternoon.

The air fuel ratio(AFR) should be a line across the bottom of the dyno sheet, right under the Run Lines.
Probably showing in the 14+ area....AFR of 14.6 (lean) I think is the Magic number for EPA and HD... AFR 14 or lower to 13.9 are good numbers..They will run you ok for Heat and performance...

IF you are looking to save on FUEL... Stock setting and NO Tuner will do that...

Your bike will need fuel IF NOT STOCK Totally,Like HD sold it out the door.(Too lean is HD's and EPA's gift)

If you added Exhaust and Air and Tuner, you DO get Less mileage.BUT it should Not run tooooo lean, IF set up right.

Sounds to me like you are More worried/wanting to get Best fuel millage than a good running bike..

IF so Take ALL the mods off and REVERT to totally stock.

signed....BUBBIE

No it has no 02 sensors.

Ok.You have no O2 sensors so you have one of the last "good" setups the Moco was allowed to build & ship to the public. In all fairness, since your bike was made before O2 sensors hit the manufacturing line, you should not have to adhere to the current A/F ratio line on the dyno chart.

Having no narrow band O2 sensors is the ultimate as long as you can find a qualified tech that really knows how to set up the A/F maps. In your case every single cell on the load vs RPM grid is definable. There is no "auto pilot" or closed loop operation. Injector pulse width for Idle, mid range cruise, and wide open throttle are all done with look up tables.

Right from the factory, I would bet the A/F ratios are pretty fat on your bike. But for starters, I would do a global enrichment (all A/F cells) of .4 of 1 A/F ratio point just to make up for the 10% ethanol we now have. Back in 2005 the maps were setup for pure gasoline and you need to offset that when using 10% ethanol.

Back