free website stats program SE compensator kit | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator kit

Yes, I guess that's my next thing to do which leads me back to my orginal post asking if the SE compensator kit would reduce the back lash slack should I 100% find out this is the problem and causing the clunking. I liked what I read about the SE compensator kit. Sounds like a good investment slack or no slack. I view this piece of equipment the same as the oil cooler I installed on my bike and love, should be standard equipment. But then I guess the bike prices would go up even more and we would gripe about the prices even more...

I have HD Fomula + for my primary lubricant.

That really is a loaded question. If your present compensator is bad, ANY NEW compensator will fix your problem. If your problem is chain lash, a new compensator (any kind) will not fix your problem.

I have this gut feeling you have a problem in your compensator. Something like a broken spring thrust washer. I don't know why I feel it but I do. I just can't see that much chain stretch in 15K miles... Just sticking my neck out on this one.

I have HD Fomula + for my primary lubricant.

I didn't want to hear that BearCat....That's what I use:p:p

Are are you SURE your not using Mobil 1:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 08 should still be in warranty isn't it?
If it is the compensator, possibly you can get the dealer to install the SE unit and you pick up the difference in price.
I have heard of this being done in some instances, so it's not like you're asking for something for nothing, or something that hasn't already been done.

Well that's very possible. Which is the reason I really need to get in there and check I guess. I am in agreement with you on the miles and the back lash. But who knows. Wouldn't surprise me to find something worn out since I have already been through a set of ids isolaters, a defective fuel pump housing (factory recall) and now possibly something here. And I don't think I ride my bike that hard. I don't baby it but by no means hard on it.

Yes GS, I agree with you but it just always seems it's like pulling teeth with those guys. Like my buddy says, they probably are just waiting for my warranty to expire and then they'll suggest going in there to fix it. They would be waiting a while though because I even bought an extended warranty with the bike. But that might well be an option I'll look into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm? I can honestly say I have not read the small print of my extended warranty but I find it hard to believe it would not cover SE parts installed by a qualified HD tech. But I think I am still under regular warranty anyway? Heck, what is regular warranty coverage? Shows how much I pay attention.

After reading this thread, I realize that my bike makes the same noise when I let the clutch out....kind of like a little "tick" of sorts in first gear... no where near the "clunk" I hear/feel when, for example, shifting into first...

I just thought it was normal. I can see not liking it and wanting to change it, but is it really a detrimental event? (I simply don't know.)

I can believe that it is extra stress on the chain and gears from an abrupt load. I can also believe it is going to wear out at some point anyway, just because things wear out. Any thoughts?

I always find myself confused and over thinking things. I like Smitty's typical approach/angle because it seems to me to be based on his own experience, common sense and grit: if HD is such a terrible product that never really works, why are they still in business (typical manufacturing problems that plague everyone, aside) But I always find myself wanting to make things just a little better....like FOLLOW THE MANUAL FOR YOUR MODEL (except when it tells you to put the same oil (HD SYN 3) in all 3 holes or speaks to tire pressure based on 1 rider or 2 riders instead of total weight.

I think I live in fear of having my bike not working due to some mechanical failure. I know that it will happen and is no different than any other machine. But, ever since I started riding, I am different. It is not that the bike is broken and need to be repaired. It is that I AM NOT RIDING. That is what I think I am trying to prevent. I guess I am a addict. Maybe I need to get a second "back up" bike!:D:D:D

I think I live in fear of having my bike not working due to some mechanical failure. I know that it will happen and is no different than any other machine. But, ever since I started riding, I am different. It is not that the bike is broken and need to be repaired. It is that I AM NOT RIDING. That is what I think I am trying to prevent. I guess I am a addict. Maybe I need to get a second "back up" bike!:D:D:D

This is a great approach if you can do it. I have an Ultra and a Dyna, and when either one is down for service or a problem, I love the fact that I can run for parts on the other one.

Porter, I understand what you are saying about over analyzing/thinking things. I often feel the same way. But in this case for my bike I think it's something really off the norm. I totally realize that these bikes make all kinds of clunks, clacks, ticks, rattles, etc and they are normal operating noises. My bike also started out with just a subtle "click" when letting out the clutch but overtime it seemed to get much more pronounced and turned into more of a clunking noise and that's when it started getting my attention. I think it just really balled down to the automatic tensioner not taking up the slack like it should. I must say this though, yesterday I was able to try Smitty's technique of braking hard at 30 mph with rear brake for several times and I think it may have actually helped. I didn't get to ride it too long to test it out well but the little I did it really did seem to be better. More riding time will tell. Other than this though the bike is running like a champ. I've owned other bikes and nothing gives me the pleasure and thrill as when I throw the leg over the Harley and head down the road. You know my wife loves Jeeps and the saying "it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". The same can be said for Harley riders, "it's a Harley thing, you wouldn't understand." Nuff said.

Bearcat

Back