free website stats program SE compensator kit | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator kit

Bearcat-1

Could someone please tell me if this kit will address the back lash issue and annoying clunk that developes in the main drive chain when clutching? I have a 2008 EGC.

Thanks

Steve, I read the whole article on the SE compensator kit but never found a defenitive answer on the back lash and associated clunking noise while clutching. I did read where it worked great with the bang at startup and driveline noises. I have back lash in my drive chain that annoys the (EDITED) out of me. 2 harley shops gave me the usual "normal, live with it" routine. Yeah, right. Bull. I hate it. Just another thing I'll deal with myself. Probably better off in the long run anyway. This looks like an easy enough job if it will cure my back lash issue.

Smitty, I have not tried this yet but I will soon when it stops raining in Houston. Would be great if it worked from something that simple. I did have one of the techs at the harley shop to tell me to shift aggresively that that should work to tighten up the slack. Well, it's been a couple of months and I still have the slack so that did nothing. Probably just wore my clutch down some. Also, I have read about some aftermarket automatic tensioners to replace the stock unit. Do you know if any of these are worth the effort? What about this one specifically:

Thanks

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.hdtimeline.com/members/bearcat-1.html

Bearcat

This unit is primarily to remove the slop that is present in the stock compensator and the starter knock on start up. You must evaluate the problem with your bike to ascertain where the slop and noise is coming from. Only after doing that can you effect a fix for your problem.

Glider, I did just that at my dealer that I bought my bike from. The tech rode my bike and then proceeded to tell me that the slop and noise is due to my primary chain having slack in it. He said starting with the 08's on up they have the potential to do this due to the the new design of the automatic tensioner. He then went on to tell me that this was what the automatic tensioners job is, to take up the "slack". He even opened up his service manual and showed me what was going on with some photos of inside the primary housing. Of course I asked what to do about it and he said it would eventually tighten up itself and to maybe shifting aggresively would help the ratchet mechanism take up the slack. As I mentioned before, this did nothing as it has been several months since then. Sounds to me like some guys are just living with this slack but it really annoys me while I am riding. I've never had my primary cover off before but I want to remove it now and see what I can find and a possible fix for this. I ain't afraid to turn a few wrenches.

Clutch has recently been adjusted cold and the fluid level is fine.

And Smitty, I am very interested in trying your technique and will. If that fixes it then all is well.

Thnx

Can you put the bike in 2nd gear & Without shifting or using the clutch, rock the bike back and forth using the throttle. Can you hear this clunk noise that you have while rocking the bike?

Hoople not quite following you. How do I rock the bike in 2nd gear with throttle without using the clutch? Unless you mean just rolling slow in 2nd and bliping the throttle.

I will say this, I for sure get the clunk noise when rocking the bike back and forth in 1st gear using clutch and throttle. Will clunk on every clutch release if I make it do this. And it often does it when normal riding and shifting out of 1st into 2nd at clutch release. It's definently slack in the primary chain. I was dumfounded on what was causing the clunk noise until the tech told me it was that. Then it made perfect sense of course because everytime you release the clutch and engage the drive system it releases slack in the chain and results in a clunking noise. I'm just about positive this is my problem and am desperately seeking a solution. I just can't accept having to "live with it."

After performing the "forum" method of adjusting your tensioner....(it does work)...if you are still going to pull your outer primary, Clean it thoroughly with brake klean or solvent and check it carefully for any shiny spots where the primary chain could have possibly been contacting the inside of the case.
There have been instances where this could be seen, and a little light work with a die grinder solved the problem.
Good luck.

Well if it does it at "clutch Release" you answered my question.
I guess at this point I would probably just invest in a primary cover gasket and take a look inside. At least then you could see exactly how much chain lash you have and take a close look at the compensator.

Not that it has anything to do with your problem, I was wondering if you would tell me what primary lube you currently use.

Back