free website stats program Screw in Rear Tire - Advice Please | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Screw in Rear Tire - Advice Please

I've plugged tires and run them for 4-5k more. If the screw was not in the sidewall it wouldn't bother me too much. But you have to do what is comfortable to you. If you are worrying about the tire, it tends to ruin your rides.

Yep, couldn't relax and enjoy the ride home at all. Just made the appointment to put a new Dunlop on it Saturday afternoon. I'm such a chicken!!

Yep, couldn't relax and enjoy the ride home at all. Just made the appointment to put a new Dunlop on it Saturday afternoon. I'm such a chicken!!

Hey Doc --- When you go to get the new skin,ask your tire tech . IF you can put a tube in there????

You're going to have to elaborate on that. You think it's dangerous to ride on this tire after a tube has been put in? If I'm not mistaken, the tube holds all the pressure, so even if the plug I put in worked it's way out even a little bit, the overall tire shouldn't lose any pressure, right?

I definitely will not continue to ride it as is - tubeless tire with a self installed plug. But I'm really leaning towards having the tire shop install the tube.

it's not a tube issue, my sporty has tube in both wheels! it's a tire cord issue, if the cords come apart from having been cut by a screw your screwed

I had gotten a nail in a tire once, and had it plugged. The plug held for over a year, until one afternoon after riding on the freeway for close to an hour, the plug blew out and I had instant flat on the freeway. Let's just say it wasn't fun. Back tire blew at 70mph.
Luckily, I didn't drop the bike and was able to get off the road.

Waiting around the side of the road for someone (anyone) to stop and help, isn't any fun either. (This was before everyone carried a cell phone. Yes Virginia, they had bikes before cell phones.)

I see you already decided on the new tire. I've put tubes in tubeless tires with no problems. Even if there was a problem I don't think the tire would blow up!. If it was me and I was putting the tube in my damaged tire I would take a black Marker and mark the sidewall so the hole was easy to find and just keep an eye on it.
Putting on the new tire is the best and safest choice.

Replace tire, you are on 2 wheels not four think about this will that hole now cause tire to separate its self like at highway speeds. Not worth it in the long run your going to have 40.00 on top of new tire so save 40 bucks get new tire.

I would say put a tube in it and keep riding but check it (the tire). The tube is going to hold the air with no problem at all. If the tire is not damaged you would be ok. However you have made your mine up and I will have to agree that it is the safe and the best choice. Nothing like knowing everything is top notch.

Back