free website stats program Screw in Rear Tire - Advice Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Screw in Rear Tire - Advice Please

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
So I'm out running errands this morning and I'm about 40 minutes from home when I'm walking back towards my parked bike and notice the head of a screw on the outer part of the tread of my rear tire. I don't hear any air escaping and tire pressure is still good so I ride carefully home. Put the bike up on the lift and get to work! Pressure is still the same and the screw passes the soapy water test - no bubbles at all. Well, this is all fine and good but I don't want to ride around with a srew in my tire waiting for a leak to begin so I take it out. Instantly hear air escaping so it had penetrated all the way. I pull out the plug kit from my saddle bag (I'd been meaning to take it out and read the directions someday!) and after several attempts got a good solid plug into the tire. Trimmed off the excess and the tire is holding pressure fine so far.

I'm going out of town until Friday night so I'll see if the pressure drops at all these next 4 days.

Now my questions. Plug kit says to only go 100 miles at no more than 50MPH until a permanent repair is made. Local motorcycle tire shop says they will not install a plug, permanent or temporary, but the will put a tube into my solid rimmed wheel/tire so I can get the rest of the remaining tread life out of that tire for $40 plus the cost of the tube.

Would you folks simply bite the fiscal bullet and get a whole new tire? I like the solid rims/no tube because you can make the exact repair I did and get your bike home - not possible with a punctured tube. Or would you put a tube in until it was time for a new tire? I've only got 2500 miles on this one!

By the way, this is the second screw in the rear tire in less than 5000 miles for me! Two different bikes. Why do screws hate me so much?!?!

Tubes dont bother me i have them on my road king since i have spoke wheels .. they do make a repair kit for tubes ..

chuck the tire for a new one. how much is your life worth?

You're going to have to elaborate on that. You think it's dangerous to ride on this tire after a tube has been put in? If I'm not mistaken, the tube holds all the pressure, so even if the plug I put in worked it's way out even a little bit, the overall tire shouldn't lose any pressure, right?

I definitely will not continue to ride it as is - tubeless tire with a self installed plug. But I'm really leaning towards having the tire shop install the tube.

Last edited:
If you can afford it a new tire would be the way to go...but a tube will suffice until next season...it's your wallet...you make the call

It's not a wallet issue, and then again, it is. I just don't want to spend more than I really need to if the tube is a good, inexpensive, safe option.

Amen...buy a new tire.:s

C'mon everyone - that's the obvious, knee-jerk answer. I was looking for some anecdotal advice. Has anyone ever done what I'm thinking about - put a tube into a tire that was originally tubeless - and run it that way until they bought a new tire?

If you can be absolutely sure that the screw did NO damage to the cord of the tire at all, then run it with a tube. I would change it cause crashing hurts too much IMO :D

I have been told by a few people , NOT ON THIS BOARD that you cannot put a tube in a tubeless rim.

Is that correct ??

If the answere is NO then a new tire is the way to go.
If YES then a tube should work.

Either way its your call,

My wife says I am worth more than the price of a new tire.:newsmile093:

If you can be absolutely sure that the screw did NO damage to the cord of the tire at all, then run it with a tube. I would change it cause crashing hurts too much IMO :D

Good point about the cords. Not sure how I would be 100% sure of that. When I was using the "reaming" tool to clean out the puncture there didn't appear to be any rubbing on a cord - just rubber. The puncture is way off from the tire centerline - nowhere near the contact patch.

I'll probably go ahead and replace the darn thing but, man, what if it happens again 100 miles from now, and then again, etc.

HD needs to make kevlar tires darn it!!!

Back