free website stats program Screaming Eagles | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Screaming Eagles

The SE from 2000 and back where the good ones, but long gone...I put on a set of Cycle Shack...its close but? what's a guy going to do....when it comes to slip ons? not many choices anymore. And I might add Cycle Shack are the only true 2 into 2 that I know of without the cross over...I could be wrong, but if someone knows others I would like to here which ones are?

Ride Safe!

Do the newer SE mufflers have removable baffles for the TM baffles, the older ones did, but I'm doubtfull of the new ones.

They do Glider, But I just pulled the Thunder Monster baffles out of my later model SE II's They have a hollow type rattle to them when getting on with the throttle, they sound Great at idle but after that its just a ear banging sound IMO.

I put on a set of Cycle Shack on and much better IMO...sound wise and I am happy with the switch.

Ride Safe!

Last edited:
Just an update, i bought the Rhinehart slipons for my '08 FLSTC during a holiday sale (15% off) and had them installed yesterday

I couldn't be happier! The bike now has some very nice rumble in it now.... I kept the screaming eagles that came with the bike in case I can sell them later

Mark

They do Glider, But I just pulled the Thunder Monster baffles out of my later model SE II's They have a hollow type rattle to them when getting on with the throttle, they sound Great at idle but after that its just a ear banging sound IMO.

I put on a set of Cycle Shack on and much better IMO...sound wise and I am happy with the switch.

Ride Safe!
Thanks for that input nala

:DHey Glider.Regards from the wrong side of the road.

Can you tell me the difference between the T.F.I and the Thundermax.Have you used one or the other? Are they all they're cracked up to be?

According to their video,the T.F.I seems easy enough to install and playing with trim pots is right up my alley.The t/max might be a different kettle of fish though.Do either of these require any ECU attention?Or are they the fuelling mods in their own right?

If a person was to put Slip-ons,less restrictive air filter and either of the above on a 2008 Flstn,would an ECU uprate be neccessary?

THANKS MUCHLY.
NOOO;LOOK OUT FOR THAT CAR!!MUST BE AN AMERICAN TOURIST.AAAHHHH-----

:DHey Glider.Regards from the wrong side of the road.

Can you tell me the difference between the T.F.I and the Thundermax.Have you used one or the other? Are they all they're cracked up to be?

According to their video,the T.F.I seems easy enough to install and playing with trim pots is right up my alley.The t/max might be a different kettle of fish though.Do either of these require any ECU attention?Or are they the fuelling mods in their own right?

If a person was to put Slip-ons,less restrictive air filter and either of the above on a 2008 Flstn,would an ECU uprate be neccessary?

THANKS MUCHLY.
NOOO;LOOK OUT FOR THAT CAR!!MUST BE AN AMERICAN TOURIST.AAAHHHH-----

Basic difference between the two is the thundermax is capable of tuning timing etc with the auto tune module added and is considerably more expensive than the TFI. It's a good unit that replaces your stock ECM where as the TFI is downstream from the stock ECM.

Differences as I see it are if you have a breakdown on the road, with a thundermax, a HD dealer probably will not be able to diagnose or work on the bike whereas the TFI can be removed from the system and return to stock config so a dealer could troubleshoot the bike.
I have used the TFI on many bikes and like them. Never used the Tmax unit but I hear good things about them with only a few complaints. Using the auto tune module with the T Max, it takes about 500 miles to completely tune itself. Without the auto tune, there are canned maps that can be selected and installed, then if you desire a dyno tune.
Either unit is a simple install and adjust with just basic hand tools but the T Max I believe requires mapping.. Each unit has their strong points which is dependent on what you intend to do to the motor.

As far as the ECU upgrade, that basically just raises your rev limit, does little more than add about 5% fuel across the board which still is a lean setting on the HD maps.I would say pass on it with your slipons and stage one A/F. Either of these units will accomplish the same thing without the increased rev limit.
I left the stock map in my ECM and added the TFI because the 96 motors have a pressed together crank unlike the older cranks and I feel that raising the rev limit is only looking for trouble. High shock loads such as hard shifting and sudden deceleration should you hit the wrong gear will and have twisted cranks. These motors have little if any benefit being run up to 6200 RPM's with the extended rev limit in the remaps on a basically stock motor. The stock cams and heads will run out of steam before you get any benefit from the higher rev limit anyhow.

And please be careful driving on the wrong side of the road, it could be hazardous to your health.:s

Last edited:
Glider,many thanks for your quick reply.I'm not interested in running my engine up beyond 4000 rpm.All the Dyno charts i read i look at idle to 4000 rpm figures.Ilike my grunt down low on V TWINS.
Seems a shame to me that a lot performance enhancements only start to come on strong at about those revs.Give me an 100/100 engine that drops to nada after4 grand and i'd be happy.:D

Back