free website stats program Schaeffers Supreme 5w-50 oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Schaeffers Supreme 5w-50 oil

Really? a 5w-50 oil stays a 5w oil and then a 20w-50 oil stays 20w at normal operating temps...

YEP ! that is the way I understand it. Take a look in your operators book and look under Oil to use in your bike..

Look to see the Different Weights of Oil they recommend at different temperatures. Notice IF your chart shows Protection at COLD oil start-up.

If too Heavy or Thick oil is used, Start-up will be Hard on the engine as POOR lubrication Quality UNTIL engine/oil gets to Normal operational Temperature.

The 5w is called out for my wife's PT Cruiser ... I do use a 5w50 in it..

When you take a 5w oil and make the molecules LONG to cover the "50" side of the 5w50, The LONGATED oil molecules SHEAR apart Early-on and usually the Oil Needs to be changed out a little Earlier than a 5w30 would.

The oil Molecules, for the 5w, when Made LONG is what gives it the 50 weight capabilities.

signed....BUBBIE

The W stands for winter use. Oil has the pourability of a 5 weight oil. They add polymers that give oil the properties of oil at 50 weight. The properties being shear, load bearing etc. BOB the oil guy has lot better description of multi-weight oils than I can give. Also the American Petrolium Institute (API) has alot of good info on this stuff.
wilks3
:USA

Good content in the posts. Some truth, some inaccurate or misleading. Though I have been reading about, and trying to understand oil for years, I don't have the ability to explain. But do you know of any liquid that gets thinner when cold, and thicker when hot? API ratings are based on PERFORMANCE at low temp (W=winter, not weight), and viscosity (the high number) at 100°C (210°F) There's a plethora of information available if you google "understanding multiviscosity motor oil". Here's a link to just one, and yes, like almost everything on the web about oil, Amsoil ads are all over it. There is probably some inaccuracy in my post also. :p
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

I have always had a problem understanding the 5w= 5 winter.... To me it is meaning a 5 weight,,,, I know i know it says winter.. I'll still call it weight

I was always told that wearing Rubber Boots inside a house was BAD on your vision.... stuck with me for Years.

I did put a disclaimer for the inaccurate information i Spout off.... in the signature zone ... See if this Helps.. thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Well, it's done..5k service yesterday on the 11 FLHTK:

Engine got Schaffers Supreme 7000 20w-50, Tranny Amsoil 75w-110 (SVT) gear lube, and Primary got Redline MTL. Got about 300 mile roundtrip ride today down to San Antonio, so will see how this combo works out.. :s

Well, it's done..5k service yesterday on the 11 FLHTK:

Engine got Schaffers Supreme 7000 20w-50, Tranny Amsoil 75w-110 (SVT) gear lube, and Primary got Redline MTL. Got about 300 mile roundtrip ride today down to San Antonio, so will see how this combo works out.. :s

Have to ask you about the Schaffers Supreme 7000 20w-50,

Is it a synthetic or Other? Good choices on the other Two tho, in My book.. I just don't like anything New in my world of HD.. NOW that is just ME.. If the oil for the engine is synthetic, it will probable hold up Longer to the HEAT in TEXAS...

I was there for the ROT rally and IT was HOT..:newsmile071:

signed....BUBBIE

Schaeffer makes some of the best if not the best oils,greases and additives out there. I use it in my trucks and equipment. I use the 7000 20-50 and each time I have had the oil tested @ 7000 miles the tests come back saying it's good for an additional 1500 miles.
Schaeffer has recently come out with a 20-50 syn V-Twin oil, I think I'm going to give it a try and see how I like it.

Back