free website stats program salvage posibillities? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

salvage posibillities?

Alright then, flood damage is out of the question. Has anyone ever bought a salvage bike? Any tips or rules to follow in assesing the value and cost for duying a salvage? Example side damage may be easier to asses that front damage, for we do not want to risk a bent frame.

ride on

Yes.I live in Mass, in my state you must have a copy of the origional estimate {by the insurance company} that totaled the vehicle.You must then document every part listed as being replaced on that origional estimate.

If on the estimate it says to replace the frame for example.You must show a reciept showing that purchase or take pictures showing you fixed it {the staties can get sticky there}.

Every state is different as to how they recertify a salvaged title..Do your research first.

In Pa. if you rebuild a bike with a salvage title, you then have to take it to a "certified" state inspection station, complete all the paper work, which is a pain, and then apply for a reconstructed title. I know a few state police and they tell me that Pa. does not really want special or reconstructed vehicles in the state, but they cannot make them illegal so they make you jump through hoops. But I gotta agree with all the people who "think" they can build or assemble a bike, torque nothing and end up building a road hazard. Hope this helps, but this is my state. Good luck.

Even fresh water? I totally understand salt water can be a huge problem.

You can call it fresh water if you want to, but it picks up thousands of impurities as it works its way through your vehicle/bike on its way to the electrical parts. It's all of those impurities that make it a conductive liquid and accelerates the corrosion process. If it happens to find some salt to dissolve on its way, it gets even worse.

In Pa. if you rebuild a bike with a salvage title, you then have to take it to a "certified" state inspection station, complete all the paper work, which is a pain, and then apply for a reconstructed title. I know a few state police and they tell me that Pa. does not really want special or reconstructed vehicles in the state, but they cannot make them illegal so they make you jump through hoops. But I gotta agree with all the people who "think" they can build or assemble a bike, torque nothing and end up building a road hazard. Hope this helps, but this is my state. Good luck.

Same in Ohio. You must have all receipts and also take plenty of pictures.

Back