free website stats program Running Hot-2011 Heritage Softail | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Running Hot-2011 Heritage Softail

I recently bought a 2011 Heritage Softail. Put in a oil gauge and she seems to run "hot". Outside temp high 70's bike after highway riding only had temp of 245. Yesterday after sitting through a couple of red lights and riding in traffic temp hit 267. Any thoughts? Should I invest in oil cooler? Is the new factory set up too lean for EPA? Please advise. Thanks, Andy

Andy,
You hit the nail right on the Head.. An oil cooler would help out on the cooling while Moving and a Fueler would do a lot..

Have you or do you want stage "one"... IF so That should Help cool the bike...

The Air into the bike and the Exhaust out (stage-one) with a good fueler will make a Big difference in How your bike runs and along with a Oil Cooler a bigger difference yet..

Didn't ask How many miles on your New ride?

It should run cooler after break-in miles are put on it...
Now I'll ask you What oil is being used by you?

I would suggest a full synthetic after the 1000 mile change on engine and use a good Primary oil,, also a GOOD Gear Oil in the tyranny...

I use all redline products but many use:

V-twin Mobil-1 20/50 for the engine (i use Redline 20/50)

V-twin Spectro in the primary OR Formal+ by HD(i use Redline MTL)

90/140 Gear Oil in the tyranny (spectro Gl-5) (I use Redline Shockproof Heavy)

All above are good choices... Many More If you click on oil threads...

I stay away from HD's Syn3 for many reasons,,, One is there are Better lubes out there to use in out $$$$$ machines to make them last Longer...

Use a Engine oil in the engine
a Primary approved oil in the Primary (wet clutch approved)
a GEAR OIL in the Tyranny

I have found that Using a good Synthetic Oil and the Proper One in the Proper Place is a must.... 3 holes = 3 different Lubes in My Book and fully synthetics will run Cooler in a bike..

I hope this helps you out

signed....BUBBIE

Back