free website stats program Royal Purple | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Royal Purple

I just did a little bit of research, and the 15w40 is CJ 4 cycle diesel compatible. I looked at the 20w50, and it's SN rated.

I think a while back RP had two different 15w40's... one CJ-4 and one SN rated for gas engines. But I couldn't dig up anything.

Oil is interesting.

Pep Boys has 20/50 for $9.99 a quart, about same price as HD syn, so I'll do more research to see if a switch is in order, thanks for the input guys:D

I have just changed out my oils in all three holes to Royal purple max cycle 20w50 and have noticed when tranny is hot some times does not shift into third or forth or fifth , this has happened twice so far , I am going to keep a eye on this as it is driving me nuts, Bike is a FXDWG2 2001 with 3500 km on it . changed out the original HD oils . Bike was never really rode as it was a show bike in a bar under glass before I bought it .

I have just changed out my oils in all three holes to Royal purple max cycle 20w50 and have noticed when tranny is hot some times does not shift into third or forth or fifth , this has happened twice so far , I am going to keep a eye on this as it is driving me nuts, Bike is a FXDWG2 2001 with 3500 km on it . changed out the original HD oils . Bike was never really rode as it was a show bike in a bar under glass before I bought it .

Sounds like its more of a mechanical issue as opposed to lubrication. You could try Redline shockproof in the tranny. Been using it for awhile now, very smooth shifting.

I see this is an old post, but I have used Royal Purple in my 07 heritage. I use it in all three holes and the only problem I see is that it doesn't have any friction modifiers added for the clutch. I have noticed under hard acceleration the clutch will slip when it is hot. I work at a chemical plant and we use Royal Purple in all of our rotating equipment from 3600 RPM hammer mills to pumps and fans. I bought a 2014 ultra limited and now I am going to use Redline in all three holes. Go figure!!!

I see this is an old post, but I have used Royal Purple in my 07 heritage. I use it in all three holes and the only problem I see is that it doesn't have any friction modifiers added for the clutch. I have noticed under hard acceleration the clutch will slip when it is hot. I work at a chemical plant and we use Royal Purple in all of our rotating equipment from 3600 RPM hammer mills to pumps and fans. I bought a 2014 ultra limited and now I am going to use Redline in all three holes. Go figure!!!

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Redline is a quality product. I run shockproof in my tranny and like the idea that it coats and sticks to the gears and other moving parts.

Back