free website stats program Royal Purple | Harley Davidson Forums

Royal Purple

gator508

Experienced Member
Going to be changing my oil again as soon as I flip another 2K, so I'm wondering if anyone uses or has tried Royal Purple in the engine, trans, or primary. Pros and cons please...thanks!

Russ, Pep Boys has it I have used it in my tranny I like it

Going to be changing my oil again as soon as I flip another 2K, so I'm wondering if anyone uses or has tried Royal Purple in the engine, trans, or primary. Pros and cons please...thanks!

I have used it in my engine and trans. I don't think there is a better oil myself. Expensive oils, but to me the best.

I just got thru dumping some royal purple in my 14 road king my lifter noise was louder than usual went back with lucas it is a lot quartier now JMHO

Thanks guys,

I know it has been used in industry for years and it seems to me if it can hold up to that stuff it must be good.

I've been leery on RP for certain uses. Like I notice they say 20w50 for gasoline engines. Fine if you were to use it on a liquid refrigerant cooled engine, but from what people told me that it can't stand up to the heat form air cooled or diesel engines, and there is specific oil for diesel applications that also are backward compatible on air cooled gas engines. I think it's the PPM of the Molybdenum within the oil, and diesel oils have a much higher count of Moly. All about the lubrication and stresses.

I use diesel engine oil in mine in 15w40 grade.

I saw it in J&P for $20/qt. Is that how much it really costs? If so, it better be something really special!

I use the 15w-40 on my Diesel Excursion. It has been the only oil used for 200K miles and the truck runs like new and gets close to 20 MPG. If you look at the rating on the oil it has the CJ-4 rating required by HD. I am going to give that grade a try and you can find it at O'reilly's for $35.00 a gallon.

The O'reillys near me has to order it one day and it is delivered the next. I do live within 10 miles of the manufacturer,so that may help.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

Cheers,

Back